Upgrade from AMD 7770ghz

Ehre

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I got an i7-3770 pc back in april with a 7770ghz edition in it on the cheap, good processor, ok graphics card, but the power supply in it is only 460W. I'm looking to make a small upgrade on the GPU because the 1gb of ddr5 in my card is a little limiting. I'm having some trouble tracking down wattage specs for the 7800 series amd and the 700series gtx. Even the card in my system is recommeded 500 W which im under, so i'm looking for an upgrade w/ the same or very similar wattage.

oczdude8

Distinguished
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
Whether or not your 460W PSU will be enough to handle a HD7870 depends mainly on how good/bad your PSU is.

Your i7-3770 likely uses less than 50W under full-load. A HD7870 uses less than 150W. Add all other components and you are likely still under 300W total at full-load which should still be well within a *good* 450W PSU's capabilities.

Once you exceed your system's real power requirement by more than 20-30%, it becomes all about quality.

Ehre

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
ya, the 760 is the generation I was looking to step to, I'd prefer Nvidia anyway, simply because a lot of the games I play seem to run a little smoother, and I wouldn't run into anti-alaising problems. Plus they tend to have Nvidia only graphics options. I know psu's are pretty cheap, I can get a 750 for under $120, I was just hoping to avoid tearing down multiple components. Haven't manually replaced anything before.

Ehre

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Alright, I don't know the PSU specs off hand, have to check in a few hours, I just know it's 460W. I got the build off Dell's factory outlet, not sure why it's so energy poor. It's even under the energy specs for the card they put in it. And PSU's are so cheap, comparatively.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

In this case you are better off replacing the PSU. The CORSAIR CX430 is currently available for $20 after rebate or you can go for a quality PSU like the Cooler Master V700 for $80 after rebate.

Ehre

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Slomo4sho, is that to say I can run 2 separate power supplies? Because the linked ones are both under my current wattage and insufficient for what I need. Apologize if that sounds dumb, I'm just breaking in to component knowledge for the last 4 months or so.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

The V700 is a high quality 700W PSU which is more than enough juice for any GPU and I recommended the budget friendly 430W CX430 simply because it still going to be higher quality than any junk that Dell threw in that box and it would accommodate a GTX 760. Pick one.

According to the specs you provided, you most likely have XPS 8500 or somewhere close. PSU on those models have proven to be just enough for 460 watt, I seen plenty complains about PSU problems, older XPS have better PSU.
So, in order to upgrade GPU, PSU must be upgraded!

+1 for Corsair recommended above.

Get your exact XPS model - not all GPUs can physically fit.

Ehre

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

That's what I have, and XPS 8500. I don't think I can simply crossfire w/o upgrading the GPU, because of current wattage. May just have to wait until I can afford to do both PSU and get a decent midrange GTX when they're around 200.

Dell uses good power supplies. If you have two 6-pin PCIe power plugs, get the GTX 760 and plug it up.

You've got a 77w-MAX CPU that you can't overclock, and a 190w-MAX GPU. Plus the rest of your system, you're looking at never cracking 300w even while running Furmark and PCMark at the same time...

Ehre

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I've never self-installed a component before, would there just be extra PCIexpress plugs laying around the PSU? Also, in the event that my stock 460W can't hack it, would that failure damage the system, or would it just cease to work and I could plug the ole' hd7770ghz back in?

You'll need to check - there will be one plugged into the existing HD 7770 - the other one will likely be on the same wire, just hanging off to the side.

And if there isn't another plug, go for the GTX 660 instead of the 760.

Also, check the amperage on the +12v rail - there should be a sticker on the side that shows the specs of your PSU. Should be over 30A total.

Dell used to make good PSUs, not any more, especially on XPS models, I have seen complains on Dell Community Forum.

Anyway those are possibilities

28511-DELL-FVGCW-LABEL.jpg

Or this

516-5BSwoXL.jpg

And many more.

I am personally not supportive of this exercise, stronger PSU is better, weaker PSU might not start a PC or overheat later and burn motherboard, who knows.