[SOLVED] Upgrade from an i7 2600 to an i5 10600

Franj0

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,

Presently I have the following set up and am looking to upgrade before end of year;

P8P67 Revised edition motherboard
An i7 2600 - non K version at 3.4GHZ
16GB DDR3 Ram @ 1333 GHZ
Gigabyte GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition.
1000w PSU
1TB Hard drive and 2 SSDs Samsung EVO 250 GB - Windows 10 Home OS on this one, and the other SSD is a 500GB purely used for games.
Fractal R4 ATX case, with 6 chassis fans.

I am contemplating upgrading the Motherboard, ram and CPU and I was wondering what sort of performance upgrade I'd expect to see, and whether this new build would future proof me for a few years to come...

New CPU would be an i5 10600 non K version - No idea on whether to purchase a CPU cooler or use the included Intel cooler, so any advice would be great.

Gigabyte Z490 UD Intel Z490 or an
MSI Z490-A PRO Intel Z490
and
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 3200 Desktop RAM
I have always been an Intel fan, so wouldn't entertain any advice switching to AMD.
Thanks for any and all advice, looking forward to your responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The difference wouldn't be too outrageous. Maybe another 20fps depending on the title, the 1% lows should increase drastically 20+fps. This would be maxed settings, if you play at low, the fps would be way more.

Skip the z490 ud, it runs hot. The msi is fine though.
You definitely want an after market cooler, intels stock coolers are still bad, even the ones with a copper slug.

With intel, there's no guarantee if the lga 1200 will support a new gen of cpu or not.
The difference wouldn't be too outrageous. Maybe another 20fps depending on the title, the 1% lows should increase drastically 20+fps. This would be maxed settings, if you play at low, the fps would be way more.

Skip the z490 ud, it runs hot. The msi is fine though.
You definitely want an after market cooler, intels stock coolers are still bad, even the ones with a copper slug.

With intel, there's no guarantee if the lga 1200 will support a new gen of cpu or not.

Solution
Yes, bus speeds have improved, nvme is a thing, memory is faster, and all that will end up to a 20-30-fps improvement, which isn't a small number by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not something amazing like double the fps. I can't quite quantify the difference as most benchmarks are with the 2600k, but it shouldn't be too far off.

Franj0

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
I got my rig built in the last half week and I am more than satisfied with a the end result.....I have had a noticeable upgrade in performance going from medium-high in 4k, now to ultra settings in all games.

Franj0

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
I got my rig built in the last half week and I am more than satisfied with a the end result.....I have had a noticeable upgrade in performance going from medium-high in 4k, now to ultra settings in all games.