upgrade from e4500 core duo?

hestamm

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I just acquired a Dell Vostro with Intel® Core™2 Duo Proc E4500 2.20GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800FSB. Originally, this computer was going to be my wife's for basic MS Office applications. However, we decided to make it mine to replace a 2 1/2 year-old Dell P4 3GHz machine. I use my machine to process PowerPoint slides, Word files, and intensive use of image processing via Adobe Lightroom and Corel Paint Shop Pro. Two more memory chips are on the way to bring the memory up to 4GB. Would it be a worthwhile gain to yank the E4500 chip and swap it for an E6750 (and sell the E4500)? Is this even possible without doing other fiddling around with the internals (like putting in a new heat sink)? The machine will not be used for games (other than offline solitaire) and only occasionally do I use it for videos--mostly to check whether or not a DVD is appropriate for the college history classes that I teach. Thanks for any insight.

hestamm

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I have already checked the manual. It does not contain information of this kind; that's why I posted the question to the forum

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
In my opinion, it's not worth it upgrading from a E4500 to a E6750. If you can get a motherboard that is able to overclock, that would be a better investment. Otherwise, don't bother.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

I think your between a rock and a hard place... Good luck trying to find a motherboard that will work with the case and the rest of the components Dell usually have proprietry parts. To my knowledge even the power/reset buttons have a different to normal connector. So if you get a new board your more than likely gunna have to get a new case and maybe more.

As for the e6750 idea, you realise youd be going from 800FSB to 1333FSB? more than likely Dell motherboard wont support 1066 let alone 1333. And they would have also put 533 ddr2 in it, in which case even if the mobo likes 1333fsb youll need to buy some 667ddr2 ram.

IMO leave it how it is and put up with it. If you find its just to slow, build your own machine from scratch ...

hestamm

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Thx everyone for the replies. Once I get the two additional GB of memory installed, I think it will do just fine. Even with the 2GB that came with the machine, it does seem to be quicker than the old one, although I have hardly done more that start installing my applications.

Please consider this question answered.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

Eh...I'm pretty sure all the parts will work well together. He'd need to get either a micro-atx if he's going to use the same case or a normal atx board if he wants to upgrade the case as well.

Agreed :)

I don't think the Dell supports the E6x50s in that PC.