[SOLVED] Upgrade from fx8350 zen 2 or 3?

Aug 22, 2019
Hey peeps, Current build is as follows
Fx8350
Evga Gtx 1070 ftw
8gb ram
1 hdd 1 ssd

Everything is being upgraded besides GPU.

I bought an asus x470 board already but I
Can’t decide if I should go with ryzen 2700x or something from the 3rd gen family, don’t do much at all besides game but might stream in the future? I know bios may be an issue if I go 3rd gen, right? Help/ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
Thanks mike I’m guessing you mean compared to 2700x? I figure if I’m not gonna upgrade again for awhile might as well get the newest? I’m hoping for huge upgrades from this old fx junk it’s time is passed.
When I upgraded from FX 8350 to my first Ryzen 1600x, difference was huge, 1700x and 2700x even more so, now with 3700x is not even comparable. For gaming only, 3600(x) may be cheaper with same results with up to 4 threaded applications but tendency is for more cores in long run, for doing additional things like streaming, more cores are a must.
Aug 22, 2019
In my experience, 3700x is about 15 - 20% faster in multi thread applications and 20 - 25% faster in single thread apps.

Thanks mike I’m guessing you mean compared to 2700x? I figure if I’m not gonna upgrade again for awhile might as well get the newest? I’m hoping for huge upgrades from this old fx junk it’s time is passed.

For gaming only, the 3600 is a better choice than the 2700x - cheaper and faster. Remember that in order to use any Ryzen 3000 CPU (3600, 3700x or otherwise), the motherboard might need a BIOS update. This would require an older AM4 CPU, and so in that sense it might be better to just get a 2700x.

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
You need to update the x470 board bios (you can buy cheap AM4 Athlons for that) ,unless the motherboard has a bios that supports 3rd gen Ryzens ( see the cpu support document). 2nd gen Ryzens have better performance per dollar value. You have enough fast cores and threads in Ryzen 2700x for game streaming.

When I upgraded from FX 8350 to my first Ryzen 1600x, difference was huge, 1700x and 2700x even more so, now with 3700x is not even comparable. For gaming only, 3600(x) may be cheaper with same results with up to 4 threaded applications but tendency is for more cores in long run, for doing additional things like streaming, more cores are a must.

Solution
Aug 22, 2019
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve been leaning to the 3600 as far as value and real or not but “more future proof” I don’t think the bios situation will be to much of a headache. Either the 2700 or 3600 should get me up with the times I’ve had this build since 2012 🙄 I don’t think I can go wrong really but that’s why I asked to begin with.

You need to update the x470 board bios (you can buy cheap AM4 Athlons for that) ,unless the motherboard has a bios that supports 3rd gen Ryzens ( see the cpu support document). 2nd gen Ryzens have better performance per dollar value. You have enough fast cores and threads in Ryzen 2700x for game streaming.

just to add AMD in the past had a program where if you can't update you BIOS they would send you a bootkit which contains a compatible CPU to enable you to update the BIOS to get your new CPU working

with the release of ryzen 3 making more of a mess like this i wouldn't doubt the program is still going