Upgrade from geforce 8400 gs to a better graphics card

Vovans

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Hello guy

I want to upgrade my Geforce 8400 gs graphics card to a better one. Really need some help because I am not that good at PC stuff. I mostly use my computer for gaming/image editing(photoshop etc)

My pc specs:
CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Brisbane 65nm Technology
RAM: 3,00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 371MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard:FOXCONN A6VMX (Socket 940)
Graphics: HP L1950 (1280x960@60Hz)
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (MSI)
Hard drive: 465GB Seagate ST3500312CS ATA Device (SATA)
case: Im not sure about this one, but its one of them small cases. like asus PC`s e.g.
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/330837421490_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg something like that.
Power suply: Not sure. But one thing i know, its a 300w

Was looking for something around £40-50. (Can be flexible)
It also would be nice if maybe i could upgrade maybe my CPU, or something else to make everything run smoother.(But that's in the future, just wanted some ideas)
In advanced, sorry for my bad English.

Thanks guys

Solution
I'll just be honest. Your computer is 5 or 6 years old, so you know it isn't still great and £60 barely buys a usable gaming card, considering "mid-range" cards are usually from £90 to about £175.

Anything below a GT640 ddr5 or r7 250 ddr5 isn't really useful at all for gaming and there isn't really a reason not to just use the integrated video for flash games, etc. With one of those cards you should be able to play somewhat newer games on medium settings if you have a 720p or comparable monitor or low if you have a 1080p monitor and 3-5 year old games and some older MMOs can probably be played on high.
Honestly I wouldn't invest any money into a refurbished cpu that would fit in that slot or ddr2 ram because both have been outdated for a while. You'd do better to wait and invest in a new cpu/mb/ram all together.

That being said you can get still get a lot better performance than what you have with a better GPU. I would go with an r7 250 ddr5(make sure it's ddr5) in a low profile version so it fits in your case. Something like this should work fine and you could re-use it later on to start with, with a new cpu/mb/ram.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-radeon-r7-250-boost-28nm-4600mhz-gddr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1050mhz-384-streams-d-sub-dvi-d-hdm

Vovans

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Wouldn't that card require more power then i have? cause i only have 300watts. And to be sure, will it work just fine with all my other parts?. Being told that if my CPU and RAM is bad, then there is no point in a good graphics card.A bit worried. By the way, any chance of a cheaper one? Or there is no point in a cheaper one and should i just build/buy a new build.

Sorry for so many questions, just dont want to go wrong anywhere.

I'll just be honest. Your computer is 5 or 6 years old, so you know it isn't still great and £60 barely buys a usable gaming card, considering "mid-range" cards are usually from £90 to about £175.

Anything below a GT640 ddr5 or r7 250 ddr5 isn't really useful at all for gaming and there isn't really a reason not to just use the integrated video for flash games, etc. With one of those cards you should be able to play somewhat newer games on medium settings if you have a 720p or comparable monitor or low if you have a 1080p monitor and 3-5 year old games and some older MMOs can probably be played on high.

Solution