Upgrade from GTX285?

bamcwilliams

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I have had the NVIDEA gtx 285 for a couple of years now, no problems, great graphics. I am at a point now, however, where I would like to upgrade. Question: is it worth it to buy a 2nd GTX285 to run SLI, or would my money be better spent upgrading to a 500 - series card?

bamcwilliams

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the response, but I am able to figure out the economics of this. My dilemma, I guess, is really that I have been looking, and the 285 is still selling in the > $200 and even > $300 price range (although I do see them selling used on ebay for less). Is it still that great of a processor that it is worth bridging two of these v.s. buying a newer-series GTX, probably bridging two of these, eventually. As these are still so pricey, does this mean that this really is that great of a card? Because I know there is normally a very dramatic drop in price after a processor has been on the market for, say six months, or so.

If it wasn't for seeing how expensive these GPUs still are, I would have no doubts that the current-generation cards are much better.

A gtx 285 is faster than you think and not all Fermi cards measure up to be an upgrade over older cards. It will take a gtx 560 ti just to break even and see a small gain. If op really wants to see a real upgrade by going Fermi then I suggest a gtx 570 or he could just go on ebay and try to get a second hand gtx 285 on the cheap then sli.

If you want to go ati then there are some decent choices out there like the 6950.