Upgrade from i5 2500k

malifact

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I am looking for some advice on upgrading my i5 2500k system, which I'ved had since 2011. I've wanted to upgrade for a while, but it's reached the point where I don't think my current build will be able to cope with some new games I want to play like the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake. It is already struggling with the likes of the 2015 Tomb Raider at decent settings. This is my current build followed by what I am thinking of upgrading to

Current:
i5 2500k @ 4.40GHz
Asus P8P67 PRO
Corsair A50 CPU Cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
250GB SSD / 3GB SATA / Blu-Ray Drive
Corsair 750W PSU

Possible New Build:
i9 9900k CPU
Asus Maximus XI Hero
Corsair H100x Hydro CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 2080 Ti
1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 (I will reuse my Blu-Ray and SATA drives)
Corsair 850W RMx PSU

I am particularly unsure about the CPU and graphics card. I have the money to more or less buy what I want, but while I want a system that will hopefully last me several years, I don't want to waste money. Apart from gaming, I would be using the system for some audio encoding and editing and Photoshop. Thanks in advice for any help.

WildCard999

Titan
The upgrade part choice is solid if you have the funds to do so however much of this also depends on your resolution and with those upgrade choices I wouldn't bother pairing those up with anything under a 4K/60hz or 3440x1440P as it would be a waste. If you do require a new monitor I'd get a IPS panel as the colors are much better then TN/VA and your Photoshop work would benefit more from it.