[SOLVED] Upgrade from i7-2600k GTX580 to 1440p@144Hz

Mar 3, 2019
Hello community,

I've been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks in order to get an idea on how to upgrade my gaming PC.
This is my current build, that I created 7 years ago:
CPU: i7-2600k
Motherboard: Asrock Z68
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580
RAM: 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Now I want to upgrade to a new PC that is capable of 1440p@144Hz gaming. That is also what I use my PC mainly for, aside from Software Developing.
I don't think that I can use any of previous components, so I want to sell that PC and build an entirely new one.

This is what I came up with so far:
PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€524.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€88.89 @ Aquatuning)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste (€9.98 @ Alternate)
Motherboard: MSI - Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€126.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€224.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€124.79 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card (€1120.40 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case (€114.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€100.83 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2436.58

I hope you can help me with these questions:
  • Is there something that doesn't fit well together?
  • Does it matter which 2080ti Video Card I buy?
I appreciate your feedback!

Solution
The 650 PSU is definitely good enough. Seasonic is an excellent brand and their focus series are decent. Go to the specific link for the RAM and the CPU cooler. If you go look into the technical specifications, they should provide you with the RAM height. I know for a fact that if you search up the specs of the CPU cooler on the Noctua website, it will provide you with the maximum ram clearance depending on fan orientation. Try this website for all the specs of the CPU cooler: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

As for the computer case, much of the choice is down to personal taste and preference. I know that the Define R series are definitely good cases that offer relatively quiet performance, but with slightly hotter...
Should be perfectly fine. The 2080ti card you have seems fine, doesn't really matter too much unless you need the card to be a specific size. The Define R6 has decent GPU size compatibility so it shouldn't be a problem. One small thing though to check is if your CPU cooler has the clearance for your RAM, cause in some cases, RAM that is too tall can hit up against a CPU cooler or even prevent the installation of certain large CPU coolers. I think for the NH-D15, it should be fine as long as you arrange the fans in the right way but you should check up on that.

for nearly €2500, you should have more than 500GB storage!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (€266.58 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€88.89 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (€140.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€224.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€221.44 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€95.96 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card (€1120.40 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Black TG ATX Mid Tower Case (€114.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€100.83 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2374.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 12:15 CET+0100

with a Ryzen 7 2700X, we savew enough to jump from a mere 500 GB SSD to aa 2 TB SSD and 4 TB HDD for a massive 6TB of storage, and we're still 60 euro cheaper

Mar 3, 2019
@TCA_ChinChin
Thanks for the hint regarding the RAM. I will have a look into that. Is there a source where I can look that up?
I'm not really sold on the case yet, are there adequate alternatives?

@ScrewySqrl
I already own an external Harddrive that I can use to store lots of data. So I don't think I need that much internal space.

One additional question:
  • Is the 650W PSU enough, or should I go for 750W?

The 650 PSU is definitely good enough. Seasonic is an excellent brand and their focus series are decent. Go to the specific link for the RAM and the CPU cooler. If you go look into the technical specifications, they should provide you with the RAM height. I know for a fact that if you search up the specs of the CPU cooler on the Noctua website, it will provide you with the maximum ram clearance depending on fan orientation. Try this website for all the specs of the CPU cooler: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

As for the computer case, much of the choice is down to personal taste and preference. I know that the Define R series are definitely good cases that offer relatively quiet performance, but with slightly hotter temps compared to a more open case. If you want more details, I recommend looking through some reviews or summaries of cases on Youtube. GamersNexus, HardwareCanucks, etc. all have videos on case round ups and comparisons.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
Get the 750w focus gold PSU, instead, at minimum, maybe even the 850w. Also a better motherboard, as that will not overclock well. The 9900k is a power hungry beast, and you want a much better board that has dual 8 pin CPU connectors to handle it, plus a PSU with those connectors. It takes a fairly expensive board to get the most out of the 9900k. That is if you stay with Intel. I would also probably lean more towards recommending Ryzen 7. You get an actual upgrade path, costs way less, performance isn't vastly different, and less power hungry. You never know, you might want one of those rumored 16 core Ryzen 9 cpu's. With a proper board and PSU, it should be a drop in upgrade, with just a bios update.