kencarlos10

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
Hi all,

i7 4770
Kingston Hyperx 16gb 1866 (2x8gb)
Asrock z97 anniversary
MSI RX 570 Gaming X 4GB

I play a lot of battlefield and with the recent release of Battlefield V I avg 60-70FPS and have noticed some heavy frame drops down to 40FPS when it comes to a lot of action happening at one moment. BF1 ran just a fine with only minor drops.
So I'm assuming its my CPU, I hover around 80-90% CPU usage when playing.
Should I upgrade to a Ryzen 5 2600 because
I also edit videos with premiere on a regular basis

Thanks for your time.

Solution
Battlefield 5 seems to aggressively use all the cores it can, so I'd say yes, it's a worthy upgrade. Single core performance between those two CPUs isn't much different at all. Very close, but the 6 cores with 12 threads almost doubles the frame rates in some of the benchmarks and if you are simultaneously multitasking any other applications, then it becomes even more of an advantage.

Obviously that will mean you need cpu, motherboard AND memory.
Battlefield 5 seems to aggressively use all the cores it can, so I'd say yes, it's a worthy upgrade. Single core performance between those two CPUs isn't much different at all. Very close, but the 6 cores with 12 threads almost doubles the frame rates in some of the benchmarks and if you are simultaneously multitasking any other applications, then it becomes even more of an advantage.

Obviously that will mean you need cpu, motherboard AND memory.

Solution
Although you're only going up 2 more cores. You might consider saving a little extra for the 2700. Or even seeing if you can catch a 1700 or 1700x on sale and overclock. I have a ryzen 1600 but a friend who upgraded to a 2700x(why he spent that much for maybe a 10% bump who knows), he has his old 1700x and is selling me that for 75.

I've got a b350 board, so I'll probably upgrade to 3000 or 3200mhz ram and try to overclock the 1700x. A week or so ago microcenter was sling new 1700x chips for 129. I think they are back to 160, but compared to closer to 300 for the newer ryzen 7, those are a steal.