Question Upgrade from i7-4770k, ryzen?

ACE286ae

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016
I understand that the Ryzen 3000 series is supposedly right around the corner from being announced, but I need a second opinion for right now. Currently I'm still running 2013's Haswell flagship 4770k @ 4.5ghz. Having 4 cores and 8 threads still makes it fairly viable for games, but I find myself editing videos more than I play video games nowadays. The only titles I find myself playing is occasionally some of Battlefront 2 and CS:GO on a 1080p 144hz monitor with a 1070Ti. Using Sony Vegas Pro 15 I've noticed that my i7 is struggling when it comes to the actual editing process, often playing the preview in choppy segments which leaves me unsure of what the video looks like until it is completely rendered. Would it be worth it to upgrade to Ryzen at this moment in time? Something like a 2600 perhaps? Or even a used first generation Ryzen on the cheap like a 1700 or 1700x. I understand I would lose frames in games, but I'm more concerned of my editing performance right now. Constantly having Vegas crash and losing potentially tens of minutes of work is getting frustrating. I would plan to overclock as well. If a 2700 or 2700x is what would be recommended I think I will just wait for Ryzen 3000. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Specs at the moment:
i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz
16gb ddr3 @ 2000mhz
gtx 1070Ti
Corsair CX750M
MSI Z97 PC-MATE

Last edited:
Short of going for Threadripper, 2700x is top of the Ryzen line right now, coupled with a good x470 MB and fast memory is something that could last you for a long time for those jobs. Even in games, it would handily beat your old CPU.
With my system, editing performance is neck to neck with 9900K let alone few gen old CPUs. Ryzen 3000 series will be compatible with x470 chipset and there should be no problem upgrading to it if need be. At last reports, it's not supposed to go for sale until late July, maybe.

Last edited:
Honest advice: wait.

Like you yourself say, the Ryzen 3K series is going to be out soon-ish, but your CPU is no slouch at all. In terms of CPU grunt, even if you double the CPU resources your day-to-day programs won't see a massive boon over your i7, as it already has strong IPC, you have it with a really good OC and it has 8 threads still. Additionally, that CPU will match or even beat the 2600 in some disciplines (games) still, so keep that in mind. Your OC is not a trivial thing to take into account, even when you see Ryzen besting your CPU at stock clocks/conditions in some/most reviews.

And, as a final thought*. When you build a system as a high end machine, you're always better off saving for another high end machine as its replacement, since the generational jump will be bigger (albeit more expensive).

Cheers!

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
To my restricted understanding 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen are reliant on memory speed for performance to speed up the gap between the two nodes inside the cpu?. Those more informed would explain better.

It's not a bad thing of course Ryzen do perform well. 3rd gen's design afaik is going to be different and is rumoured to have better instructions per cycle. If true, you'll have quicker work loads and higher fps cap.

Plus, there's potential for pcie4 ssds in future :)

Id wait for Ryzen 3rd gen and also consider 500 series motherboards if want full Pcie4 compatibility. It has been mentioned that previous gen boards will have partial pcie4 capability but not sure what that extends to.