[SOLVED] Upgrade from i7 4790k for 144hz gaming?

SlaveMaster-IDE

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
So I've been thinking about this for a while. I feel like I don't get the performance I should in a lot games at 1080p (BF5 and black ops 3 specifically. The new insurgency as well) Ideally I'd like to be at at least 100 frames per second at decently high settings

My current setup:

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 24 144hz
Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition
GPU: Evga 1080 ftw2 8GB
CPU: i7 4790K (OC'd to 4.6 Ghz)
Ram: 16GB DDR3 Corsair @1866 Mhz
PSU: Corsair TX750 (Had it for 8ish years)
Storage: 1x samsung 850 evo SSD 500 gig(OS and primary), 1x Sandisk 500 gig SSD, 1x WD black 3TB

Solution
Your 4.6 OC is practically an equivalent of a stock 8700K in single and quad core performance, and they struggle to get 100FPS+ with a 1080 on max settings on BF5. BO3 should be fine though.

Maybe look at your idle CPU and RAM usage. Maybe there's a few background things taking the resources. No reason why a fairly tweaked Win7 setup should be slow.

That all being said, had your setup been stock, I would have thought your your GFX card might benefit from a CPU/mobo upgrade. Maybe it's just a case of DDR3 being the issue. Shifting to a CPU, mobo and DDR4 RAM setup could be the answer. Another benefit would be an NVME drive over the SATA one.
Your 4.6 OC is practically an equivalent of a stock 8700K in single and quad core performance, and they struggle to get 100FPS+ with a 1080 on max settings on BF5. BO3 should be fine though.

Maybe look at your idle CPU and RAM usage. Maybe there's a few background things taking the resources. No reason why a fairly tweaked Win7 setup should be slow.

That all being said, had your setup been stock, I would have thought your your GFX card might benefit from a CPU/mobo upgrade. Maybe it's just a case of DDR3 being the issue. Shifting to a CPU, mobo and DDR4 RAM setup could be the answer. Another benefit would be an NVME drive over the SATA one.

Solution