Question Upgrade from i7 4790k

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 13, 2019
Hello,
I bought my i7 4790k in 2014 (5 years, thats a lot computer-wise!).
Everything was fine until recently, i started to play around a lot with Unreal Engine, Maya and such. And it seems i'm getting at the limit of my brave CPU can handle.

I tried overclocking but above 4.5 is unstable as hell (or too hot).
So, i'm thinking of upgrading.
My usages are: as said, messing around quite a lot actually with UE, Maya and such (and programming, so lots of core is nice when compiling, but a good single core perf is nice too ..),
but also gaming (new Triple A and such), at 1440p.

My current config:
32 GB DDR3
2080 Ti OC
Asus Sabertooth MK2
i7 4790k
ASUS ROG PG278Q (1440p 144Hz G-Sync)

I know it'll lead to buying new ram and such (that sucks but meh .. once every 5 year is okay)

Any ideas about a good CPU that could replace the 4790k for the years to come?

Thanks for your answers ! :)
(and sorry for my English, non-native english speaker here!)

Flem

Depends. Idle numbers aren't the ones to pay attention to. It's the peaks that matter. I would make sure the waterblock on CPU is screwed on tight and fans are spinning. Set fans and pump to 100 in bios and see if your temps change. 100C is not safe and may cause thermal throttling and slower clock speeds.

Apr 13, 2019
Depends. Idle numbers aren't the ones to pay attention to. It's the peaks that matter. I would make sure the waterblock on CPU is screwed on tight and fans are spinning. Set fans and pump to 100 in bios and see if your temps change. 100C is not safe and may cause thermal throttling and slower clock speeds.
Okay will do that tomorrow.
I'll keep updated here.

Thanks again

Apr 13, 2019
Thats a lot better. It is still not ideal but for a 9900k, a notorious beast to cool, its not that bad.
I wouldnt try an overclock with it like that and you may want to try a repaste.
I already tried a repaste yesterday without luck tho, but i might try later.
But for now, running 'stock' runs fine, changes A LOT from my 4790 :D (in UE and such)

Apr 13, 2019
Okay so, it seems the TUF Motherboard is not really good for the 9900k, vrms are too weak and shit, that could lead to instabilities ..
So i'll probably swap for a Strix-F.