Upgrade from i7 860 to ryzen 1700

cpt_valkon

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I have a build from 2009 with i7 860 and he was a great soldier all these years, but he is struggling now. Is is time for me to upgrade to ryzen 1700?

Solution
yep its worth it as the ryzen will only get better with the updates coming threw they been a bit buggy from the start but its a new gen set up i would advise to wait for the 2nd gen ryzens as they will have the kinks & bugs soreted from the first gen release as 2nd gen is always the better option. Honestly i will be upgrading from intel to amd soon but waiting for the 2nd gen gear to come out

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
yep its worth it as the ryzen will only get better with the updates coming threw they been a bit buggy from the start but its a new gen set up i would advise to wait for the 2nd gen ryzens as they will have the kinks & bugs soreted from the first gen release as 2nd gen is always the better option. Honestly i will be upgrading from intel to amd soon but waiting for the 2nd gen gear to come out

Solution

cpt_valkon

Prominent
May 1, 2017

That's what I am going to do. I was thinking of waiting the 2nd gen as well.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
that's what i am doing as the ryzens are only going to get better not paying the price for intel where its over priced & not as good as the next gen Amds which be due to be released usually an intel fan but ryzen is on my next build as i know alot of m8s with them & highly recommended & been told to wait for the 2nd gen as they have more frequency & more features being added as a new ground up build as well with windows 10 be caught up soon with the updates so be worth to save your $ & wait be well worth it as i am.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
1st gen is getting brilliant now, with most problems ironed out in such a short time I'm impressed with amd, and with threadripper around the corner, it's already showing to stomp over Intel i9s at half the price.

Zen2 or zen+ 2nd gen will be Q1 2018 and will be even better, along with the zen based apus with Vega cores.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
yeah been keeping upto date on the AMD lineups atm realy impressed with pricing & quality they finally steped up against intel which is a big hands down to AMD. All my build advise i am passing on to AMD as they finally listened to the consumer which is going be a kicker to Intel but making the market more competitive. Usually an Intel fan but AMD all the way now its a healthy pc gaming market now so fingers crossed AMD be releasing more beasty builds.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
You sound like me, I got fed up with Intel and there tactics, every few months releasing a new chip on a different socket for pretty much zero improvement, and they are still at it, X299 the end of this month and I've heard they have pulled the cannon lake chips forward to August instead of Q1 next year, yet again another socket change, it's ridiculous.

I've been with Intel for 10 years, but when I heard amd were going to support am4 socket for 4 to 5 years, I was praying the chips themselves would be decent compared to there last disaster which was bulldozer, and hey presto, I'd recommend Ryzen over Intel to anyone who comes to me for an upgrade or new system.

Like you also said, one great thing about amd, is they appear to be listening to customers, and issues and fixing them as quickly as possible, which is more than I can say for Intel.

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Intel is shit at fixing stuff. Their bugs linger for decades. On AMD, you get all the instruction sets whereas Intel sets their CPUs apart by instruction sets. I don't wanna pay for an expensive server mobo to get over 32GBs of RAM, and I don't wanna pay for their locked crap/i7s for VT-d.

The 7650k in my server has all the instruction sets, 64GB of RAM max, a kickass iGPU and all that for 90$, whereas to get the same functionality out of an Intel chip, it would mean getting an i5/i7 with an expensive-ass mobo.

Ryzen is a breath of fresh air we desperately needed. Intel's 4+ cores are expensive as hell and seeing the 140W+ TDP, it smells of their first dual-cores, when they just "glued" two CPUs together. It's garbage they've thrown together in a rush to counter Ryzen's high core count with no optimization whatsoever, yet they expect us to pay 1000$+ for the junk in their garage, haha, screw Intel.

TRENDING THREADS