Upgrade from intel to AMD, compatibility check with current system.

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016
Hello, thanks for your time.

As you've read, I want to upgrade, mainly for games, occasionally video editing (HitfilmExpress).

I currently have the following:
ASRock B150M-HDV
i3 - 6100
GTX 1060 6GB
2x4GB DDR4 2400Mhz G.Skill Ripjaws 4
PSU Corsair CX430
(2 HDD, 1 SSD, 1 CD/DVD, 2 case fans)

An i7-7700 would be a very big jump in performance AFAIK (and I guess as simple as swapping the CPU?), but its price alone is the same as getting a new B350 motherboard + Ryzen 2600, which is an insanely better and smarter choice from what I've been reading these last few hours. And if I pay a significant extra, I could get the 2700x which I'm sure will last 5+ years for my needs (I've been using this i3 for the last 2 years+).

About my current PSU, I've used MSI's and CoolerMaster's PSU calculator, and it looks like even if I get a 2700x it would be enough (I don't plan to OC).

And I guess the only other problem would be my RAM, not sure if I'd have to buy new ones because, holy, their prices are so high!

Question 1: Could I just buy a mobo and Ryzen 2700x and keep everything else? Is the PSU enough, would the RAM work?
(I know that I could get a big performance increase from a 2933Mhz+ RAM, but that's way out of my current budget, I'm really looking for the "not cheapest" but cheap and good purchase that I could get working with what I got).

Question 2: Is a 47% increase in price (Ryzen 2600 to 2700x) worth the extra cores/threads/higher clocks/better cooler? I think so, when you remember I don't want to OC, but please let me know what you think.
mobo+2600 = 493 USD, same mobo+2700x = 722 USD

Question 3: Is Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING a good choice and does it come with updated bios for Ryzen 2? (I think so, but I may have looked at the wrong place, I really want a digital audio output).

Thank you so much.

ram is ddr4. It will work, still AMD loves faster ram. Not necessary now but in near future 3200 x 16 GB ripjaws V will give you another 20% performance. keep it in mind when planning next purchases.
https://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/am4-motherboard-memory-support-list-en_0.pdf
find it here to have 100%.

2. depends on your workload. 2600 is already a killer and 2700x can throw +40% in certain conditions. Check how many cores your program uses, and if it can use all, then its worth the $
3. not perfect, but solid. if you can wait then B4xx will launch soon and might be better

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016

Thank you!

Good to know I don't have to worry about the PSU or RAM.

20%? Wow, that's huge... I'll keep that in mind... took a look and even a single 16gb stick is almost as expensive as the Ryzen 2600 alone, insane!!! Bookmarked that memory list for future use too.

I read about the new b4xx chipset, I think Precision Boost 2.0 and XFR 2.0 may be useful to me (I know one of them is not exclusive to the chipset), but it doesn't seem worth it if the prices on launch are higher than b350... still, I'll wait untill I make the final decision.

Thank you very much.

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
Ram price is still high, you can use your ram for the moment. And upgrade later.
For gtx1060, ram spd doesnt matter yet.
Asus F board are good too, check out asus b450 f coming soon. Website available

just leaving here the link to tests:
http://legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-performance-with-ryzen-7-2700x-on-the-amd-x470-platform_205154

WeskerEnd

Honorable
Oct 17, 2016

Thanks!

You're right, looks good too, waiting for the price.

That's nice, gaming being my main use, even though the gains are big, the lower FPS numbers are still way higher than stable 60fps which is what I usually aim to reach with v-sync on... by that I think I wouldn't mind using my current RAM for a long time to come.

Thanks!