Upgrade from Ivy Bridge to Skylake? (Gaming, Streaming, Videos)

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hey guys,

So I just posted a thread with full specs but it got swallowed /: I'll post it again a little shorter, if you need specifics please ask.

Currently I'm using this:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 3.40 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
RAM: HyperX Savage 2x 8 GB
Cooler: Scythe Katana 3

mainly for gaming, streaming, recording and rendering.
I'm streaming/recording in 720p, my CPU is already bottlenecking. Would like to upgrade to 1080p.

Would OCing help, or should I upgrade to Skylake? Maybe even wait for Kaby Lake? I don't want to wait for more than a month tho, unless it's really worth it.

If you suggest OCing, I have the PC under my desk, can't put it anywhere else sadly. It's already getting a little warm there. Would a better Cooler help? If so, any suggestions? :)

In case of upgrading, do you have any recommendations for Motherboards and CPUs? I'm looking for high-end Hardware, which is worth it's price.

If you need any additional information, please ask :)

EDIT:
Current thought from my side: comment further down

Solution
I would imagine having more hardware threads would help in that case; it'll get encoding off of the hardware threads your game is running on. A 6700K would be marginally better than a 3770K or equivalent Xeon, but it's hard to justify the added expense of a platform upgrade, if your only complaint could likely be satisfied with a 3770K.

Even better would be to get Shadowplay working, of course, but I don't have an NV card myself and thus can't help you with troubleshooting.

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

No, I don't. It doesn't seem to work for me and Google doesn't provide any solutions either /:

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

I'm kind of a noob with this. Why will I not be overclocking? Also, why B150, why not H170? (I assume no Z170 cause no OCing right?)
Edit: Don't forget that I'll still be using the PC for gaming as well.

Asher2099

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Get a i7-3770k or a lga 1155 Xeon for your current board.

Skylake is not worth the cost to upgrade unless you speciffically want DDR4 Ram or M.2

I upgraded from a i5-3570k to a I7-6700K and it was not worth the cost to upgrade vs getting one of the cpus mentioned above. We are talking marginal
improvements from Ivy Bridge to Skylake something like 5-10% depending on application

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

If I'm informed correctly, the difference between i5 3570k and i7 3770k is barely any. Do you have some links for me to read up on it by any chance?

It depends on what you're doing. In tasks that heavily utilize 4 threads or less, the two CPUs perform nearly identically. In tasks that can utilize 8 threads effectively, the i7 has perhaps a 30% throughput advantage from hyperthreading.

Skylake is somewhere around a 20% IPC improvement over Ivy Bridge. So, an i7 6700K at stock is only a hair faster (to the point that it would be invisible) than an overclocked 3570K in tasks that use 4 threads or less, and is only a hair faster than a 3770K in tasks that can utilize 8 threads. Overclock the Skylake CPU and you may start to perceive that it's faster, but it's not world changing.

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

So if I get you correctly, for gaming it will be no difference, and I assume rending will be quicker. But what about streaming/recording, does that use multiple threads? Like I said, atm my CPU is at 100% if I record in 720p.

I would imagine having more hardware threads would help in that case; it'll get encoding off of the hardware threads your game is running on. A 6700K would be marginally better than a 3770K or equivalent Xeon, but it's hard to justify the added expense of a platform upgrade, if your only complaint could likely be satisfied with a 3770K.

Even better would be to get Shadowplay working, of course, but I don't have an NV card myself and thus can't help you with troubleshooting.

Solution

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Can't seem to get Shadowplay to work :/

Another question tho. If I overclock my 3570k to 4.5 Ghz, is that an actual ~30% performance increase or does it work differently? I'm an OC noob so sorry for stupid questions :D

I'm kind of doubting if I should get an i7 3770k since the socket is already outdated. Wouldn't OCing basically give me the same result as buying an 3770k (non-oc)?

If I overclock my 3570k, should I get a new cooler? Like I said I don't really wanna invest into something outdated, I just wanna get most out of it until I absolutely have to upgrade.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

you can get a used 3770k for ~250$ or a i7 6700k for 320$ plus a new motherboard for another 100$ plus 16gb ddr4 ram for 80$ so in total that's 500$
and a overclocked 3570k will help but not as much as a i7 in programs that use 8 threads

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Is it save to buy a used CPU?

My problem with the mobo upgrade is, that it comes with a bunch of other stuff, like you just said. Besides that, Skylake aren't actually that much better from what I've heard. Kaby Lake won't be a big improvement either since the leaked 7700k comes at the same, or even less, clock speed as the 6700k. Is investing in a 1151 socket really worth it?

Well yes an overclocked 3570k is gonna be better than a stock one, but how much exactly? Is 3.4 GHz vs 4.5 GHz an actual +30%, or how does it work?

I'm just trying to get a grasp of the options I have.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV1ePRqXa6M
there is the oc now find 3770k benchmarks and you chose if its worth it
my opinain is for gaming its not but for video editing and streaming it is
as for it being safe as long as its a trusted seller who accepts returns on ebay its fine

magocchi

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Alright I'll check it out! Tyvm for the link :)

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

welcome
btw if you do the smile this way : ) over this way :) you get a emoji :):)

TRENDING THREADS