[SOLVED] Upgrade from Mac OS 9.2 to OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

windowsMe

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Hello.
I have an old iMac G3 tray loading machine that I want to upgrade from OS 9.2. I have OS X 10.2 Jaguar install discs laying around. They have a yellow/black X on them. Can I just turn on the machine, put the disc 1 in, restart, and press the "C" key to boot from disc? Or do I need to do something in advance?
Thanks

Solution
As long as the disks are retail ones or were supplied with that particular model of Mac you should be OK. But if they were supplied with a different model the chances are that they won't work. Make sure that you have your OS 9.2 install disks, or a bootable backup, before starting; otherwise you may end up with a brick.

TBH, that old a Mac is probably better off running the Classic OS.

McHenryB

Admirable
As long as the disks are retail ones or were supplied with that particular model of Mac you should be OK. But if they were supplied with a different model the chances are that they won't work. Make sure that you have your OS 9.2 install disks, or a bootable backup, before starting; otherwise you may end up with a brick.

TBH, that old a Mac is probably better off running the Classic OS.

Solution

windowsMe

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
I'm just using the computer for fun and because it looks nice. I'm going to insert the discs and see what happens because it's really old and I don't need it. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.