upgrade from NVIDIA GeForce 310 to GTX 750 Ti

goto10

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Complete hardware noob here (probably no need to point that out).

I want to buy a PC to play GTA V. The one I have my eye on has decent specs apart from the graphics card, which is the GeForce 310. I think I'd probably be happy with the GTX 750 Ti.

The CPU is Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2GHz with 8 GB of RAM

So I was thinking of getting the PC, seeing how it runs with the low-end card and if it's no good, buying the 750 Ti and dropping it in.

If it's that simple. Is it that simple? Would I have to get another power supply, or is there something else I haven't thought of? Here is what the specs say under "power supply":

ATX 320W 88plus (Worldwide), auto-sensing
ATX 280W, manual switch
ATX 280W 85plus (Worldwide), auto-sensing
115 to 230 Volt; 50 to 60 Hz

Thanks in advance. Pls let me know if you need more info...

Solution
no. its not too complicated. all looks very good so far for You.

So the only thing that MIGHT stop you is the physical size of graphic card. Buy it. and if it will not fit. You will spend £10 or $12 onto cheap standard ATX case.
The GTX 650 I had was really small that might fit Your case. but i have seen gtx 650 with massive radiator that would not fit case like yours.

Do it!

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
1. ATX 320"? are you sure?
Its usually 700W. 450W was lowest I've seen in years.
Are you having normal standard(big) size of ATX case. as 320w might indicate you are having a little microATX. So standard sized graphic card might not physically fit inside the case.

2. If you are having normal (standard ATX) Go for another graphic card! there should be no problem.

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
1.the case might by too small. find yout the size of the graphic card you ar egoing to buy. You still should be able to plug new graphic card into motherboard but Yo will not be able to close the case.
Best thing you can do is to buy (even 2nt hand one, old full size ATX case. and transfer your internals in there. it will than 100% fit.

2. please ensure you have got PCI express slot in your motherboard. as your old 310 graphic might be an integrated one(welded into motherboard) and no pci express as not all PC have got one.

And you need free PCI express slot for new graphic card.

goto10

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
hmmm...

PC specs say this for slots:
Two Full Height PCI
One Full Height PCI Express x1
One Full Height PCI Express x16

Card specs say that bus support is PCI Express 3.0

is that a problem?

Also, card specs say that Minimum System Power Requirement is 300W

It's worth pointing out that I haven't bought the PC yet - is it looking too complicated for a noob to handle?

ficler1977

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
no. its not too complicated. all looks very good so far for You.

So the only thing that MIGHT stop you is the physical size of graphic card. Buy it. and if it will not fit. You will spend £10 or $12 onto cheap standard ATX case.
The GTX 650 I had was really small that might fit Your case. but i have seen gtx 650 with massive radiator that would not fit case like yours.

Do it!

Solution