[SOLVED] Upgrade from OC 980 ti to 1070 ti?

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
My friend has an extra, brand new 1070 ti that he originally planned to sli, but never got around to it. He offered it to me for $100. Is it worth the upgrade? Besides improved efficiency, how much faster can I expect the 1070 ti to be compared to an overclocked 980 ti?

I also plan to upgrade to a freesync monitor early next year, so I guess the adaptive sync support is worth it, but is it better to wait for high end Navi to release?

Solution
What's your monitor's resolution?
Refresh rate?
Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
What games do you play?

In general, though, a used, reliable, known-from-a-friend (assuming your friend is willing to guarantee the GPU is good) 1070Ti is worth a lot more than $100. This is a deal that's hard to beat.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Refresh rate?
What games do you play?

In general, though, a used, reliable, known-from-a-friend (assuming your friend is willing to guarantee the GPU is good) 1070Ti is worth a lot more than $100. This is a deal that's hard to beat.

Solution

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Refresh rate?
What games do you play?

I have a 1440p 60hz monitor. It does not have either. Plan to buy a freesync monitor which is the only reason I am considering this upgrade

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hm, alright. Well, the 1070Ti @ $100 is still a great deal and more than up to the task of 1440p @ 60Hz.

It will actually even serve you well on the new monitor, but, of course won't manage 144Hz at 1440p with max details.

Of course, with max details, maybe 2080 Super or 2080 Ti could do it at 1440p/144Hz, not sure. Maybe not.

Also, frankly, those ultra-high refresh rates are overrated. Much past about 100fps, the eye/brain can't really process it.