Question Upgrade from onboard graphics

dan2me76

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Hi all,

I am currently running a Dell PC with an Intel Core i5-4460 processor that runs at 3.2 GHZ with 12 GB of ram and a SSD. This processor currently acts as my GPU as well as it's on board graphics. I play World of Warcraft an I'm trying to get my frame rates up from about 35 FPS on average to 60+ FPS. I am considering buying a XFX Radeon HD 7850 DirectX 11 FX-785A-CNL4 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-hd-7850-fx-785a-cnl4/p/N82E16814150641) and I'm wondering if that would help me accomplish my goal. If not, any suggestions would be appreciated. I am trying to keep my cost under $200 as this is just to get me through until I can save the money to build this (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/dan2me76/saved/PWmCJx).

Thanks in advance.

dan2me76

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I already updated the power supply as I wanted to make sure my SSD and my 2 extremely large HDDs had the power they needed as well as the anticipation of needing to upgrade to a GPU. It is a Dell Inspiron 3847 PC.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
RX 580 is within that budget, and would stomp the pants off that 7850.
IMO, you should not waste up to $200 on a stopgap gpu - that can instead be used to further enhance your next build. Now, it's been a little more than a year since I stopped playing WoW(work), but from what I remember, it was more cpu hungry than gpu, but I have heard that Blizz has since enhanced the Frostbite engine while I was away. Even if you were to get an RX 580, the overworld performance would be good, but I have no doubt that your current cpu would still cause frames to tank in specific places - ESPECIALLY if you like to raid, and in packed cities and 40 man BGs, because that's where the cpu gets hit the hardest. A bigger gpu now wouldn't help you in those instances.

Then there's the matter of your parts list:
-A hugely overpriced 8086k that's outperformed by a Ryzen 3600 at 1/3rd of the price.
-Unless your eventual motherboard officially supports quad-channel memory(that flex mode some mobos have isn't all it's cracked up to be), stick with 2x 8/16GB 3000/3200mhz ram speed kits, as they offer the best value in price/performance.
-You'll want a separate 280/512GB SSD for an OS Drive.
-XFire/SLI isn't worth it these days, unless you plan to shoehorn yourself only into the games that properly support the feature, and even then some of the games that are supposed to support it still run like crap on 2 cards. A single gpu is best for now - and cheaper overall.
No need for a 1200w psu either. A good 550 - 650w unit can be had for under $100.