Question Upgrade from Pentium g3258 to i5 4690k or i7 4790k

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Hi,
I have the pentium, which processor should I upgrade to, i don't wanna buy new mobo and ram.
the i5 4690k is £95 cheaper than the i7, i am tight on money and I just use my PC for streaming / gaming, i do some video editing but with my pentium its kinda fine with cuda cores although it does stutter a little when previewing the video.
I notice that when streaming and playing ETS 2 my pc does get slow prob due to only 2 cores and hardly any threads.
In future I want to get the RTX 2060, I have a GTX 760 atm, will the 2060 bottleneck the i5 or am I good for a couple more years?

InvalidError

Titan
Another often much cheaper option on Haswell and older sockets is going with Xeon CPUs instead - most people either don't know about this option or forget about it, so there usually are plenty of server chips pulled from decommissioned hardware sloshing around. Most 80/90-series motherboards support up to the Xeon E3-1285v3.

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Another often much cheaper option on Haswell and older sockets is going with Xeon CPUs instead - most people either don't know about this option or forget about it, so there usually are plenty of server chips pulled from decommissioned hardware sloshing around. Most 80/90-series motherboards support up to the Xeon E3-1285v3.
You can't overclock an xeon though...

I found this one for about the same price as the 4690k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xe...034192?hash=item1a87d50490:g:NPUAAOSwFN9dvvgb

InvalidError

Titan
You can't overclock an xeon though...
Try finding a guaranteed working i7-4790k, they're usually stupid expensive when compared to similarly performing Ryzen CPUs and APUs.

Personally, I value stability 100X more than overclocking, so I'd actually consider non-overclockability as a must: I can't beat the snot out of the chip and neither could any previous owners. As an added bonus, server chips usually reside on higher quality server/workstation motherboards in controlled environments, which are additional reasons to expect those chips to still be in pretty good shape despite higher typical workload.