Upgrade from Phenom II to Intel i7

Aug 14, 2018
My Phenom II X6 1045T is struggling to keep up with modern games. Many newer games don't support the Phenom II anymore. I'm also looking to get into VR soon, and the HTC Vive benchmark test says it won't be too good.

I'm looking into the i7-8086k specifically, but I imagine switching from AMD to Intel will require a new motherboard installation as well, and I don't know what to look for in one of those. I also read that it will likely require a fresh OS install, so that's even more of a hurdle to jump over.

My budget is just under ~$1,000, and of course, I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck.

I'm in the process of backing up my data via BackBlaze, and it's said it'll be approx. 50 days until all my files are backed up, so I have time to play with.

Basically I'm asking what do I need to know when upgrading these processors specifically, and how can I make it as easy and non-headache-inducing as possible?

*Not looking to overclock*

Thanks very much!

Edit:
My current specs are:
Windows 10 64-bit
Local Disk 240GB SSD
2 TB Storage Drive
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor 2700 Mhz
NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
16 Gb RAM (Not sure where to find the specifications on that)
"ASUSteK" Motherboard (That's all I could find on it)
Corsair CX430 Power Supply

I'm looking to use the HTC Vive with my system. I purchased Assassin's Creed Origins a while back, only to find out that Ubisoft gave up support on the Phenom II. I'd like to try that out eventually.

Solution
AMD to Intel always requires a new motherboard, and you're talking about an upgrade that spans numerous generations here, meaning you'll need new memory (DDR4).
You will definitely require a clean OS install, and most likely a new license too.

I'd avoid the 8086K, personally. It's just a top tier binned 8700K, while priced a decent margin higher.

For strictly gaming/VR, the best "bang for your buck" on a modern platform is probably going to be either an 8th Gen i5 (8500, 8600) at 6 cores/6 threads, or an modern Ryzen offering from AMD. Something like the Ryzen5 1600/2600/1600X or 2600X at 6core/12threads.

To upgrade, link your OS to a MS account (assuming Windows 10), just on the offchance you can carry it over...

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to need a new board, DDR4-3200MHz rams and the processor itself to be able to have the backbone set/ready for use. We're also going to need to know what your current PSU's make and model is as well as it's age. Essentially you should state your current full system's specs and list the apps/games you intend to tax the system with. Perhaps you can get away with reduced specs in your build to meet that budget threshold.

I was asking for info akin to this thread.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right the 8086k is overkill gimmick that will eat your budget alive. a solid i5 is ample and will save a ton of cash toward the new mobo and ram you'll need.

a ryzen 5/7 build would save even more for the cpu and provide more threads for streaming or other multi-tasking in game.

would also like to know the rest of the specs you have such as gpu and psu for sure. may have to go with full upgrade to bring the whole system into the new decade :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AMD to Intel always requires a new motherboard, and you're talking about an upgrade that spans numerous generations here, meaning you'll need new memory (DDR4).
You will definitely require a clean OS install, and most likely a new license too.

I'd avoid the 8086K, personally. It's just a top tier binned 8700K, while priced a decent margin higher.

For strictly gaming/VR, the best "bang for your buck" on a modern platform is probably going to be either an 8th Gen i5 (8500, 8600) at 6 cores/6 threads, or an modern Ryzen offering from AMD. Something like the Ryzen5 1600/2600/1600X or 2600X at 6core/12threads.

To upgrade, link your OS to a MS account (assuming Windows 10), just on the offchance you can carry it over.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Back up any data you cannot afford to lose.

Built a new base platform (CPU, MB, RAM) and reuse any hardware you can/want to.

Then clean install your OS, creating bootable installation media from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Realistically, at <$1,000 you have a solid budget to work with.
I can't imagine much beyond an HDD could/should be reused.

What GPU do you have currently? For solid VR perfomance, you should be looking to something like a GTX1070 IMO.

You might not need all components, but I assume you likely will.

I'd look to something like this, as a starting point:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M PRO-M2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot - Ignite M2 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 3.1 TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1009.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-14 13:47 EDT-0400

Solution

Welcome to Tom's!
Going from a 1045T to an 8086k is like going from a VW Beetle to a Ferrari! It will require a new motherboard AND ram, as the new ram standard is DDR4, and your current DDR3 will not be supported. A HDD format and fresh install of Windows is HIGHLY recommended in this scenario. What version of Windows are you running?

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
You can build a very nice and more than capable system for less than 1k US. I have seen cpu/mobo combos on Newegg that can save you a bit of money. Today they have an AMD Ryzen 1700x and an ASRock X370 mobo for 269.99 after rebate. I am not saying buy that combo, and I am not saying go AMD. I am wanted to give an example of the deals that are out there. DDR4 is still a bit pricey, but you can find a 16 gig kit for less than 150 dollars if you do some hunting and yes it would be a good idea to let us know what PSU you currently have. Cheers.

Please tell us your parts for helping better.
What graphics card have you?
For upgrade your rig you need change your mobo and your memory. All processors now use ddr4.
I7-8086k is similar to i7-8700k. I7-8086k is soldout.
For VR is more important the gpu. The gpu is the most expansive part in gaming pc. For Vr you need a gtx 1080 or better.

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
You do not need a 1080 or better for VR. You can use a 1060 6 gig, although I would not recommend that, but a 1070 would work just fine for VR. For the most part you will see everyone is in agreement on what you can do as far as solving your current situation. Your best bet is to watch/read a few reviews of different processors/mobo's and get an idea of what items will suit your needs. We are all here to help, but in the end it is your money and your choice. Cheers

The Phenom II was no slouch when it came about. Now we are a few generations past it. I too felt the age of my old Phenom II X4 955BE. At the time I replaced it I went i7-5820k... had Ryzen been out, I probably would have went for it instead. With $1000 max limit, you do have options, especially with SSD prices actually becoming affordable again.

Take this build for example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - PM961 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($87.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($71.69 @ Amazon)
Total: $956.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-14 14:28 EDT-0400

Only thing you need to do there is move your HDD over for extra storage.