May 21, 2020
Hey guys i have Intel Core Quad 6600 2,4ghz with very high temperature i really dont know why 6gb ddr2 ram nvidia gt 740 gddr5 2gb grapichs card and asus p5b mainboard
So i need an advice what to do upgrade to Q9650 processor ( 20 $ ) or buy 8gb ddr2 ram or mybe something else.Thank you!

Solution
I have just "P5B"model
If you upgrade to the Q9650, you'll need to update your BIOS to version 2001 or later. Needless to say, make sure you completely remove the old thermal compound from your heatsink and use new thermal compound on the new CPU.

If you upgrade your RAM, I'd go to:

Crucial Website

...and let it scan your PC to find compatible RAM.

If you're planning on both CPU and RAM upgrade, I'd probably get the new CPU working first with your existing RAM before purchasing the new RAM. The BIOS for the Q9650 potentially messes with your FSB which could affect RAM compatibility.
Perhaps the thermal compound is dried out and lost it's heat transfer abilities....; I 'd start there.

You'd want to check on your exact mainboard's CPU support list for whatever BIOS you have and what BIOS updates might be available, as there was more to CPU compatibility than merely, 'LGA775', etc... (Not all mainboards had the power delivery circuitry (VRM) necessary to support some of the more power hungry processors.)

It is considered questionable by many to put too much money into upgrading a DDR2 -based rig from 13 years ago...

I'd save for a DDR4 rig around a B450/R3-3300X combo...a 10x improvement.

Reactions: mctrader07
May 21, 2020
Perhaps the thermal compound is dried out and lost it's heat transfer abilities....; I 'd start there.

You'd want to check on your exact mainboard's CPU support list for whatever BIOS you have and what BIOS updates might be available, as there was more to CPU compatibility than merely, 'LGA775', etc... (Not all mainboards had the power delivery circuitry (VRM) necessary to support some of the more power hungry processors.)

It is considered questionable by many to put too much money into upgrading a DDR2 -based rig from 13 years ago...

I'd save for a DDR4 rig around a B450/R3-3300X combo...a 10x improvement.
Bro i've got too much money for pc i just want to improve my pc for about 30 40$ i use maximum from my mainboard i dont want to change mainboard

Reactions: SamirD
I have just "P5B"model
If you upgrade to the Q9650, you'll need to update your BIOS to version 2001 or later. Needless to say, make sure you completely remove the old thermal compound from your heatsink and use new thermal compound on the new CPU.

If you upgrade your RAM, I'd go to:

Crucial Website

...and let it scan your PC to find compatible RAM.

If you're planning on both CPU and RAM upgrade, I'd probably get the new CPU working first with your existing RAM before purchasing the new RAM. The BIOS for the Q9650 potentially messes with your FSB which could affect RAM compatibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: pegaz0011
Solution