Dibbley247

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Hi

I have the following:

AS Rock Z97 pro3
I5 4770
R9 270x gaming
8gb DDR3 1600mhz (got another 8gb on the way)

Wondering what would be a decent upgrade from the current GPU.

Mainly play Player Unknown, and will be playing other FPS.
I'm currently using a Samsung 22" 1080 TV, which I'll be changing to a proper monitor at some point.

Thanks

Solution
@ Dibbley247: GTX1070Ti or GTX1080.
BUT if you're not going to upgrade for a while yet, keep an eye out for the upcoming RTX20XX reviews, they're mega pricy ATM but have features not found in the current gen of cards and prices are likely to fall as availability settles down.

Dirty trick if you live in the UK: You can return items purchased off the 'net within 14 working days, this isn't a warranty return but a right under consumer law. So, buy the display you have in mind, try it out and if you don't like it, return it. Try to be nice to your supplier, though, keep all the original packaging and return it with all the little bits intact.

To save the above and to give yourself the best chance of getting what you want first time, have...
We really need to know the monitor you're aiming for resolution/refresh rate will effect our choices, as will your budget and expectations.

Good news is that the base system is good and solid, and will be even better once those extra 8Gb start to earn their keep.

Dibbley247

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
For the monitor, not sure yet.
I'd love to go 4k, as I'm so used to high Res displays on phones and tablets, that 1080 looks a bit..... Meh.
But being realistic, I'd guess I'd have to invest in a better cpu too I'd imagine?

I usually go for mid range stuff, but with the GPU, and monitor, I don't mind saving up more for a better spec if it's going to cost a couple hundred quid extra per item.

A bit vague still, but if I know what options for mid/higher end, I can see if it's worth me saving up that bit extra.

The thing is that higher resolutions quickly become extremely demanding of the GPU, not even the GTX1080Ti can hold 60FPS at 4K resolution without lowering the game settings for example.
A decent compromise is 2K, better clarity than 1080 at the same panel size without the ( to some of us ) crippling frame rate penalty of 4K and the possibility of running well beyond the ( current ) 60FPS frame rate cap set by 4K displays with cards like the GTX1070Ti or '1080.

@ Dibbley247: GTX1070Ti or GTX1080.
BUT if you're not going to upgrade for a while yet, keep an eye out for the upcoming RTX20XX reviews, they're mega pricy ATM but have features not found in the current gen of cards and prices are likely to fall as availability settles down.

Dirty trick if you live in the UK: You can return items purchased off the 'net within 14 working days, this isn't a warranty return but a right under consumer law. So, buy the display you have in mind, try it out and if you don't like it, return it. Try to be nice to your supplier, though, keep all the original packaging and return it with all the little bits intact.

To save the above and to give yourself the best chance of getting what you want first time, have a read here: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/monitor-buying-guide,review-34436.html

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would hold off on the video card upgrade until you get the monitor you want.

As has been suggested, avoid 4K because that can even bring a 1080Ti to its knees at some points.

I'm personally a fan of ultra-wide resolutions:
2560 x 1080
3440 x 1440
3840 x 1600

Obviously, the higher the resolution, the more powerful of a video card you'll need.

If at all possible, go to a store that has multiple monitors on display. See which ones look/feel best for your eyes.

Also, it's not always about the resolution, 1080p might look meh on one screen, and look great on another.

Dibbley247

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
Forgot to answer back.
I ended up building from scratch again.

Ended up going with:
I7 8700k
Aorus 1080ti extreme
Aorus Gaming 7
16gb 3200mhz DDR4
NZXT k62 cooler
LL120 RGB fans