Upgrade from Radeon HD 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindALot

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
15
0
18,510
0
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: possibly this weekend.

BUDGET RANGE: USD $200 after all discounts

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: games

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GPU GIGABYTE|GV-R585D5-1GD-B R
Power : SeaSonic M12II 650 SS-650AM 650W ATX12V

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: remaking main computer (motherboard/memory/cpu) so details not quite known. Most likely quad core something at least 3.5 Ghtz (either high end AMD or i5 intel).

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: wondering if a small step up from my current graphics card to something more recent near $200 would really make a noticeable difference.

Thanks !!
 

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
331
0
18,810
13
There is also the option of getting a 6950 2GB. It's $229 + Free Shipping / Before $30 Rebate. Even this is barely a significant performance gain; maybe 25% in best case scenario in specific games. Your current 5850 as it's still a very capable card and can run most modern games at high/medium settings up to 1080p. I would recommend you to wait about a month or two until Nvidia and AMD release more of their mid-range cards [i.e There is nothing in between the 7770 and 7850 - HUGE performance/price gap here and the lack of the 660TI on the market playing field]. Sorry to disappoint you but until Nvidia and AMD offers more options and possibly drop prices, there is no worthy upgrade at the $200 mark.

5850 vs 6950 2GB
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/512?vs=510

~Coffee
 

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
248
0
18,690
3
I agree with coffee. I currently own a Sapphire 5850, and am looking to upgrade. I don't think the jump to a 6950, or any currently priced $200 card is really worth it. You'd need to move to a 7850 or better imo, and those run around $250-300. For 5850 owners like us, upgrading requires a significant bump in price. We really need to get into the $300-400 priced cards to really make an upgrade worth while.
 

MindALot

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
15
0
18,510
0
Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to try to keep my current graphics card and see if everything works with the new build.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads