Question Upgrade from RX 480.

Jan 13, 2023
After my 480 decided to not work (hardware issue or user error, you choose) I'm in the market for an upgrade.

I did have a 6650xt but that borked when gaming so sent it back.

I have decided to go for an Nvidia card for the first time in my PC life.

Due to scalping costs my budget isn't huge but I can run to the following GPU's for the price in my area.

RTX 2060 £330
RTX 3060 8GB £320
RTX 3500 8GB £300
GTX 1660 6GB £319
GTX 1660 TI £299

Those are the 5 I've landed on

Of course the 3060 would be the outright decision, no but looking at cost, that's the highest by £30 extra.

Not overly fussed about 120hz as my amp runs max 4k 60hz and the PC gets used for gaming, more so retro emulators and 3 year old games rather than current year games released.

The odd bit of video editing and movie watching in 4k. PC is connected to an LG TV.

Specs:-
i5-12600k
Z690 UD DDR4 MB
32GB Patriot RAM
TX650 Corsair Bronze PSU

So out of those, any suggestions?

Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will show you the relative differences:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The 3060 would be the better performer.

Unsolicited advice:

When faced with a decision between something good and something cheap, I suggest take the better option.
The extra price will sting for a little while.
If you take the lesser option, the cost savings is transitory, but the second guessing will last for a long time.

Keep in mind you listed a 3060 8gb, so those are a cut down model from the 12gb. I think the 6650 is likely a decent card you probably just got a card that happened to be defective which can happen with amd or nvidia. I once bought an nvidia card from microcenter that made systems blue screen and ended up having to exchange it.

Reactions: AbeDub

logainofhades

Titan
Did you run DDU, to wipe your AMD drivers, and reinstall the latest, when you upgraded before? Unless you really want Nvidia features, I would still go with a new RX 6600/6650xt. You do not want an 8gb model, of 3060. You can find 12gb models, at similar prices.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=499

Jan 13, 2023
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will show you the relative differences:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The 3060 would be the better performer.

Unsolicited advice:

When faced with a decision between something good and something cheap, I suggest take the better option.
The extra price will sting for a little while.
If you take the lesser option, the cost savings is transitory, but the second guessing will last for a long time.

This is the dilemma. Do I go for lesser and save a few quid or splash out and have that future proofing, so to speak. Of course it's quite obvious but when the brain is telling me otherwise. I mean, I could go all out and get a 4090 but then I would need my head testing.

Did you run DDU, to wipe your AMD drivers, and reinstall the latest, when you upgraded before? Unless you really want Nvidia features, I would still go with a new RX 6600/6650xt. You do not want an 8gb model, of 3060. You can find 12gb models, at similar prices.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=499

Yes, I ran DDU and it was after running it in safe mode and rebooting that the 480 couldn't be seen on the PCIE slot.

The spot on pcpartspicker, technextday. Never heard of them so a bit reluctant to purchase in case anything goes wrong and thir returns policy is shabby. However, appreciate the need to go for 12gb.

logainofhades

Titan
There are more options, than that store. Amazon has a decent deal on a Palit 3060 12gb. Did you happen to try your old GPU, in another system, to verify it was indeed the culprit, and maybe not your motherboard. Also, how old is that PSU? TX650 Bronze is something I have not seen in a very long time. Today's TX650's are gold. If it is quite old, as I suspect, you might be chasing the wrong problem.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Palit Dual GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£329.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £329.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-16 18:05 GMT+0000

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Jan 13, 2023
There are more options, than that store. Amazon has a decent deal on a Palit 3060 12gb. Did you happen to try your old GPU, in another system, to verify it was indeed the culprit, and maybe not your motherboard. Also, how old is that PSU? TX650 Bronze is something I have not seen in a very long time. Today's TX650's are gold. If it is quite old, as I suspect, you might be chasing the wrong problem.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Palit Dual GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£329.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £329.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-16 18:05 GMT+0000

Out of stock in Amazon. Just ordered from Scan though. £345 all told for the 12GB

The 480 works in my mates PC no problem. As for the PSU I can't recall how long I've had it. Just checked my purchase history from a few sites and can't see it. Possibly around 2017

logainofhades

Titan
Jan 13, 2023
Being a bronze unit, it is definitely past it's warranty period. I would start with a high quality PSU, before messing with other GPU's.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair TX650M Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £79.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-16 19:06 GMT+0000
Yeh I may go seasonic this time. Although that one looks decent enough.

Jan 13, 2023
Well it arrived and it's all set up. I did have an initial issue of it booting bios then black screening on me when it hit W10. A quick cable swap to the HDMI on the MB and sorted.

Thanks to those who offered input and advice. Appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS