[SOLVED] Upgrade from Ryzen 1800X to Zen 3?

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have the upgrade itch and I wanted advice on whether I should upgrade or not.

My current system:

CPU: Ryzen 1800X

GPU: GTX 1080 Ti

Mobo: MSI X370 Carbon Pro

RAM: 16GB 3200 Hz

I'm playing at 1440p 144hz with Gsync IPS

With the RTX 3000 series on the horizon and the Zen 3 processors supposedly out later this year I'm wanting to upgrade. The new RTX cards will let me experience ray tracing along with DLSS. However, AMD is moving away from the AM4 socket after Zen 3 and with Zen 4 is moving to a new socket and DDR5 apparently. Should I wait for that or go for Zen 3 and an RTX 3080 Ti? My main concern is upgrading to Zen 3 and then Zen 4 coming out a year later and it using DDR5, etc.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Made correction to motherboard
Edit2: I didn't make it apparent, but I'm seeking to do a complete new build, not just putting a new GPU in the current system.

Last edited:
Solution
Lol. I know well about that itch, many times I upgraded without urgent need.
AM4 is on it's last leg with Zen3 but it will be more than adequate for most for next few years.
Not much known about RTX 3000 but I doubt it will be some revolution for gaming, Present stuff is still powerful. AMD is also throwing hat into top ring. Will be interesting to wait for them but how long ? PCIe 5/6, DDR5/6, 32 cores, what to wait for ?
For Zen3, best bet are b550/x570 MBs, no doubt about it. Although some b450/x470 MBs will get BIOS update, MB manufacturers don't have any incentive or can't enable full support, that's as clear as an UFO on a sunny cloudless day. You may see it but is it really there ?
If Shakespeare was alive today, I bet he...
Thanks for catching that. I made the correction.
It's doubtful that MB will get support for Zen3, as things stand now 99.9% chance it will not and even if it did it would loose some valuable options.
Unless you want to change MB too or want to wait few month, you'd be better off planing for a 3700x/3800x to drop in price after Zen3 shows up. If you don't want to wait, 3700x/3800x would be a good boost.

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
It's doubtful that MB will get support for Zen3, as things stand now 99.9% chance it will not and even if it did it would loose some valuable options.
Unless you want to change MB too or want to wait few month, you'd be better off planing for a 3700x/3800x to drop in price after Zen3 shows up. If you don't want to wait, 3700x/3800x would be a good boost.

I didn't make it apparent, but I'm seeking to do a complete new build, not just putting a new GPU in the current system. I was wondering if it would be worth it. I know my system is still pretty good (especially the 1080 Ti), but I have the upgrade itch, and I know the performance of the RTX 3000 series and Zen 3 is going to be pretty good. What do you think?

AM4 is on it's last leg with Zen3 but it will be more than adequate for most for next few years.
Not much known about RTX 3000 but I doubt it will be some revolution for gaming, Present stuff is still powerful. AMD is also throwing hat into top ring. Will be interesting to wait for them but how long ? PCIe 5/6, DDR5/6, 32 cores, what to wait for ?
For Zen3, best bet are b550/x570 MBs, no doubt about it. Although some b450/x470 MBs will get BIOS update, MB manufacturers don't have any incentive or can't enable full support, that's as clear as an UFO on a sunny cloudless day. You may see it but is it really there ?
If Shakespeare was alive today, I bet he would quip: "To upgrade or not to upgrade, it is the question".

Solution

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016
If Shakespeare was alive today, I bet he would quip: "To upgrade or not to upgrade, it is the question".

So what do you personally think about me upgrading? My dilemma is that I would upgrade to a CPU that will be the last on a socket (AM4). there's also the possibility that DDR5 will be supported next year. I suppose the GPU isn't really a concern for me, but the CPU is because it's the last of its socket. Not really sure what to do. I suppose I could technically wait another year. My games aren't suffering that bad and I try to run them at max settings at 1440. I don't get 120 FPS constantly, but I'm usually over 60.

So what do you personally think about me upgrading? My dilemma is that I would upgrade to a CPU that will be the last on a socket (AM4). there's also the possibility that DDR5 will be supported next year. I suppose the GPU isn't really a concern for me, but the CPU is because it's the last of its socket. Not really sure what to do. I suppose I could technically wait another year. My games aren't suffering that bad and I try to run them at max settings at 1440. I don't get 120 FPS constantly, but I'm usually over 60.

I'd upgrade to a 3600 or 3700x on your existing board.

Wait for the new sockets. You could build new now but I think your better off waiting. The 3600 is a really good cpu and at 1440p you're leaning on the gpu more than the cpu. You just won't see a massive performance improvement with a new build over what you currently have.

Reactions: CountMike

Navitus

Reputable
May 7, 2016

Wait for the new sockets. You could build new now but I think your better off waiting. The 3600 is a really good cpu and at 1440p you're leaning on the gpu more than the cpu. You just won't see a massive performance improvement with a new build over what you currently have.

Why do you think I'm better off waiting? Isn't something newer and better always around the corner?

As stated.

An upgrade to a 3000 series cpu may not show any noticeable improvement.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htoPyqmY6gg