[SOLVED] Upgrade from Ryzen 2600 to Ryzen 5600x

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Hey All,

I'm planning on swapping out the Ryzen 2600 to Ryzen 5600x. The current mobo is Gigabtye b450 ds3h motherboard. I am better off upgrading the mobo to a b550 or a x550 ?

Thanks!

My current desktop specs:
-- Ryzen 5 2600 with stock cooler
-- Gigabtye b450 ds3h motherboard
-- 16 GB Crucial Ram 3000 MHz
-- 500 GB NVme ssd
-- 1 TB WD Blue SSD
-- GTX 1660
-- NZXT 510 case with stock fans.
-- Seasonic 550 W Gold

Solution
The board you have isn't the best but it would work well enough with a 5600X. You could upgrade in the B450 board, just be sure to update BIOS before pulling out the 2600, see how it works out and only then make a decision whether you need to move to a B550 board. The board itself will not affect performance to any significant degree even if you had a GPU capable of PCIe gen 4.

In any case, an X570 board is only worth considering if you need a lot of PCie gen 4 capable expansion slots. The average well equipped system (one GPU, one NVME and one or two SATA SSD's) has all the slots and lanes needed in a B550 board.
The board you have isn't the best but it would work well enough with a 5600X. You could upgrade in the B450 board, just be sure to update BIOS before pulling out the 2600, see how it works out and only then make a decision whether you need to move to a B550 board. The board itself will not affect performance to any significant degree even if you had a GPU capable of PCIe gen 4.

In any case, an X570 board is only worth considering if you need a lot of PCie gen 4 capable expansion slots. The average well equipped system (one GPU, one NVME and one or two SATA SSD's) has all the slots and lanes needed in a B550 board.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
I concur, run the board you’ve got until it dies. Next year sometime you’ll probably see ddr5 and new cpus/boards coming out. Don’t put a lot of money into the current generation if your existing equipment will run fine.

For example, I’ve got an asrock b350 pro 4 that now runs a ryzen 5 3600. I’m doing other updates like graphics card and storage but the motherboard and cpu are waiting until I do a more significant upgrade.

Jul 7, 2021

So I did the same upgrade but still have my B450 board. I didn’t know I had to update the BIOS. Now when I put my 2600 back in the system it doesn’t POST. Any idea how I can fix that?