[SOLVED] Upgrade fx-8350 to 9590?

Jun 4, 2020
I currently own and use an fx-8350 and just picked up a real cheap fx-9590 with a slightly bent pin. The cpu is fixed and working now but I am hesitant to use it in my computer since I’ve heard it uses quite a bit of power and tends to get real hot and thermal throttle. Is it worth using it in my pc over the 8350 since I got it so cheap? Or would the fx-8350 be the way to go?

Solution
My motherboard is a asrock 970a-g/3.1. My cpu cooler is a DarkFlash Shadow Pro, but I also have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 not sure if either is better than the other though.
Ok your motherboard is actually one of the few that is ok for that cpu but both of those coolers are completely inadequate to cool that cpu. Its not worth spending £100 on a cooler for the small gain you will see running that cpu. If you had sufficient cooling there would be no harm in trying it.

kanewolf

Titan
I currently own and use an fx-8350 and just picked up a real cheap fx-9590 with a slightly bent pin. The cpu is fixed and working now but I am hesitant to use it in my computer since I’ve heard it uses quite a bit of power and tends to get real hot and thermal throttle. Is it worth using it in my pc over the 8350 since I got it so cheap? Or would the fx-8350 be the way to go?
"Friends don't let friends use FX9xxx CPUs" ... It is more hassle than benefit for 99% of people.

Reactions: aldan
My motherboard is a asrock 970a-g/3.1. My cpu cooler is a DarkFlash Shadow Pro, but I also have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 not sure if either is better than the other though.
Ok your motherboard is actually one of the few that is ok for that cpu but both of those coolers are completely inadequate to cool that cpu. Its not worth spending £100 on a cooler for the small gain you will see running that cpu. If you had sufficient cooling there would be no harm in trying it.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Jun 4, 2020
Thank you very much! Looks like I'll be sticking to my fx-8350 for a little longer.