Build Advice [Upgrade] Gaming and Workstation low budget

Apr 2, 2021
Hello everyone,

I had the opportunity to recover an old PC and I wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade it to replace my current laptop.

Having a relatively tight budget, I started from the principle of changing some components even if it means changing others the day I would have higher income. So, for example, invest in a good motherboard that can serve me for a long time.

The objective is to hold out over time.
  • Budget : ~450€
  • Use : Mainly Desktop work and communication for a small associative structure. The most used software are the LibreOffice suite, the Affinity suite, as well as OBS Studio and DaVinci Resolve (Basic Video editing, short clip). In terms of gaming, I will mainly want to play Paradox games (requiring rather single-core performance), but also the Anno, Total War, Civilization and Age of Empire series. Not much else. No overclocking expected.
  • Operating System required : I wish to work with a Dual-Boot Ubuntu/Windows 64bit. I already got a Retail license.

My actual configuration is :

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3 GB Dual-X Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case

And this is my upgraded configuration I had in mind. What are you opinion about it ?

Upgraded PC
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560M DS3H AC Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3 GB Dual-X Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case

I am also planning to buy an RTX 3060, but I will wait for the prices to drop (not included in budget).

Reactions: Why_Me and Dj0gany
Apr 2, 2021
Sorry, I forgot to mention, my power supply model i've got now is a LDLC QS ATX 550W. I didn't plan to change it, unless you advise me to.
I've got some doubts about the CPU Cooler, but I don't really know what to look for.