[SOLVED] Upgrade Gaming PC to improve VR, Oculus Rift S!

Sep 26, 2019
Hello all!

I have built my Pc (about two year ago) specifically for PC gaming without knowing that I'll be getting a vr headset. However, I've recently bought an Oculus Rift S and so far the performance is acceptable but I'd like to enhance my PC performance so that it would be able to run triple A games without any lagging.

Now i'm looking to upgrade my GPU/RAM/ probably CPU as well to get the best out of my current PC build. Would like to seek for your expert advises and help.

These are my current specs:
ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS LGA-1151 ATX MOTHERBOARD DDR4 2400MHZ
I5 7400 @ 3GHZ
Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
Single 8GB ram 2400mhz
Oculus Rift S

Monitor:
Frame
Rate
60 fpsRefresh
Rate
60 Hz

3c5add0baa329048429e16f3e741e1ba.jpg

651e4e41f83a6373058a7e00738a3417.jpg

e875e21246d0a0409dc63043cbe44f18.jpg

Due to budget constraint, I am only considering to upgrade the followings below first, please advise if it will help to run VR at the highest possible performance
GPU:
  1. Zotac Geforce RTX 2060 E Twin Fan/RTX 2060 AMP Extreme/RTX 2060 Super Twin Fan (Mini)
  2. MSI RTX 2060 Gaming z 6G
RAM:
1) 2x8gb Kingston value ram 2666mhz

CPU: (might upgrade in the future)
1) i7-7700

Please advise which GPU would most probably be best fit? and if it would incur any bottleneck to my CPU (otherwise might need to upgrade CPU as well). Also wondering if my PC is able to handle RTX 2070, I am open to suggestions as well. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Your current CPU can handle any graphics card you want. An RTX 2060 would be fine with that processor. Again just not sure it's worth the cost for the improvement you'll see over your current graphics (though the 6GB VRAM would definitely be of help).

-Wolf sends

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to include your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

We can move forward from there.

IMHO, you should look towards the 2070 if anything. Due tot he chipset you're limited to non K suffix processors. Also we'll need to know the make and model of the PSU and it's age to know if your unit can handle a higher tier card.

Sep 26, 2019
You might want to include your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

We can move forward from there.

IMHO, you should look towards the 2070 if anything. Due tot he chipset you're limited to non K suffix processors. Also we'll need to know the make and model of the PSU and it's age to know if your unit can handle a higher tier card.

There you go, hope this helps. These are the only info's i know of.

CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS LGA-1151 ATX MOTHERBOARD DDR4 2400MHZ
Ram: Adata desktop DDR4 8GB ram 2400mhz
SSD/HDD: Sata iii 1tb 32GB/HDD int
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 3GB
PSU: Aigo 600W (G-T600)
Chassis: AVF Gaming Freak EOS M800G tempered glass edition

I was only curious on changing my GPU and adding RAM. Any suggestions? Not sure if my CPU is able to handle the upgrade.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hopefully, your processor is going to be enough (should be). Unfortunately, I don't think upgrading it is going to be worth the cost. A new seventh Gen I7 is going for $300-$350. A newer ninth gen processor means a new motherboard as well, which puts you well into the $450 - $550 range. I'd probably be looking at

• New 16GB or 32GB RAM kit.
  • New graphics card. Probably something like the GTX 2070 Super.
  • New Power Supply if possible.

-Wolf sends

Sep 26, 2019
Hopefully, your processor is going to be enough (should be). Unfortunately, I don't think upgrading it is going to be worth the cost. A new seventh Gen I7 is going for $300-$350. A newer ninth gen processor means a new motherboard as well, which puts you well into the $450 - $550 range. I'd probably be looking at

• New 16GB or 32GB RAM kit.
  • New graphics card. Probably something like the GTX 2070 Super.
  • New Power Supply if possible.
-Wolf sends

Thank you for your input, would a RTX 2060 be decent enough for my current processor to handle? Not sure if there will be any high bottleneck. I am only looking to see if I can upgrade my GPU to work with my current CPU.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your current CPU can handle any graphics card you want. An RTX 2060 would be fine with that processor. Again just not sure it's worth the cost for the improvement you'll see over your current graphics (though the 6GB VRAM would definitely be of help).

-Wolf sends

Solution
Sep 26, 2019

-Wolf sends

Got it, yeah my current GPU of VRAM 3gb isn't sufficient enough. That's one of the reasons why i wanted an upgrade. Everytime i start steamVR, it takes so long for me to load and get to the Steam Home. Could this be because of the Vram?

Or could it be because i install both Oculus Rift S and SteamVr on HDD drive instead of SSD?

Oct 3, 2019
My recommendation before anything else would be to find another
Adata desktop DDR4 8GB ram 2400mhz
for 16GB total and buy a 240GB or higher SSD and install windows on that as well as the games you are currently playing. Then I would pick up a 2060 or if you have the cash a 2070 Super. Also I highly recommend pairing your system with a 144hz monitor, it makes a world of difference.

TRENDING THREADS