upgrade gateway cpu

adamranger

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
I have a gateway essential 700c. I would like to upgrade to something a little faster, say above 1G. Its a ms-6312 v.1 motherboard w/ no jumpers anywhere other than reset bios. chipset 810E, i think bios ver. 0AAVIP01. The cpu is celeron # SL4P2. I've found numerous cpus but they all have higher bus speed. Is there anyway to set the bus speed & multiplier? I please need help.

and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should support a Pentium III 1000EB. That would be the one with the Coppermine core, not to be confused with the newer Tualatin PIII 1000's which run at lower voltages. Venders will usually call the PIII 1000EB by it's voltage (1.65v), or they will call it a Coppermine, or they will call it an FC-PGA (even though some FC-PGA2's were coppermine, others weren't).

You'll need to check to make certain your memory is PC133 compatable. If it's not marked PC100 or PC133, look at the chips, they should have a 7 or 8 at the end of the code number, 8 being 8ns PC100, 7 being 7ns PC133.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

adamranger

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
So what you are saying is that the motherboard will change settings? I know that my memory is 133 does that mean the motherboard will automatically change to 133? If not is there something out there that will change the settings? I've tried softfsb but that didnt work. Thanks

and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PIII and Celeron processors are like that, they actually have a pair of pins on them that the board can use for detecting the bus speed to be used automatically. And they even have an onboard multiplier lock, so you never need to adjust the multiplier either.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>