Question Upgrade: going from overclocking i5-3570k to a i7-10700k with ASUS Z490-e...times have changed.

LordTimothyDexter

Prominent
Aug 7, 2021
Hi everyone--first time poster here but of course long time lurker.

I have a little experience overclocking for years with a 3570k on a Asus P8Z77 mobo. A few days ago I upgraded my system to a 10700k and Asus Z490-E mobo. My question related to the best way to optimize voltage and cooling on these newer Z490 boards. My previous overclocking situation with the 3570k was great -- I had a 4.6ghz OC at just 1.19v, and I could get stable 4.7ghz with 1.28v. Since the jump was a lot of extra voltage, I usually ran at the 4.5ghz setting. I delidded the CPU, so my temps with Prime95 small FFT and at 1.19v were in the mid 60s. At 1.28v they were mid 70s. I'm using the ID Cooling SE 224 XT air cooler which worked really well with my delidded 3570k. I was nowhere near dangerous temps.

Now with this new setup (10700k) I still have the air cooler, and I figured I would just run it at stock and keep the turbo on, and my temps would be fine (no OC). Well, they are fine for normal use (maybe gets up to high 70s when gaming), but if I stress test at all it goes up to 96 degrees C (Prime small FFT) so I shut the test down immediately. THis is without OC! I did see in the BIOS there are some features where the mobo is managing the voltage in ways that might be overkill. I turned off MCE and set the limit to reflect stock Intel before doing this stress test with p95.

Should I just try manually setting the clock multiplier and setting the voltage setting myself? I think this thing could run a lot less hotter than it is on stock turbo settings.

Thanks for any input! I've been using technology thats 10 years old for OCing, so all the later generation stuff is new to me.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the make and model of your chassis and the airflow in said chassis? Ambient air temps? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Ram kit used for the build? PSU's make and model? Age of the PSU if it's being recycled?

Further reading;

Aug 10, 2021
Hi everyone--first time poster here but of course long time lurker.

I have a little experience overclocking for years with a 3570k on a Asus P8Z77 mobo. A few days ago I upgraded my system to a 10700k and Asus Z490-E mobo. My question related to the best way to optimize voltage and cooling on these newer Z490 boards. My previous overclocking situation with the 3570k was great -- I had a 4.6ghz OC at just 1.19v, and I could get stable 4.7ghz with 1.28v. Since the jump was a lot of extra voltage, I usually ran at the 4.5ghz setting. I delidded the CPU, so my temps with Prime95 small FFT and at 1.19v were in the mid 60s. At 1.28v they were mid 70s. I'm using the ID Cooling SE 224 XT air cooler which worked really well with my delidded 3570k. I was nowhere near dangerous temps.

Now with this new setup (10700k) I still have the air cooler, and I figured I would just run it at stock and keep the turbo on, and my temps would be fine (no OC). Well, they are fine for normal use (maybe gets up to high 70s when gaming), but if I stress test at all it goes up to 96 degrees C (Prime small FFT) so I shut the test down immediately. THis is without OC! I did see in the BIOS there are some features where the mobo is managing the voltage in ways that might be overkill. I turned off MCE and set the limit to reflect stock Intel before doing this stress test with p95.

Should I just try manually setting the clock multiplier and setting the voltage setting myself? I think this thing could run a lot less hotter than it is on stock turbo settings.

Thanks for any input! I've been using technology thats 10 years old for OCing, so all the later generation stuff is new to me.
Hey LTD,
Im new to all this but ive really enjoyed learning how to speed this 10700kf. I have:
Intel 10700kf
Oloy 16gb x2 ddr4(2666) at 3200
Team 1gb ssd m.2
Nvidia p400 x2
Lg32"4k
Samsung 32' 4k
3 Fans, added a double cooler master for the cpu, now (4)

After extensive timing combos I have found 16/18/32 has the best scores on my cpu-z.
Havent learned the metrics on test apps yet.
I use xmp I or II. xmp I has a few less selectables but it does the job. Theres little difference.
Cpu core ratio is max at 51 by intel, unless you have software like that will change it, then even at 57 it maxed at 5.090
It will regurlarly get to that, boot up 20 seconds.
I run the cpuz and it always surpasses 10700 scores by 65pts/10pts. Ive had 5760/580 but rely on 5725/575.
Cpu load line calibration-LLC 4,5, or 6. This reduces droop with some slight v rise.
Cpu Cache ratio- 51/42, if the min is much higher, voltage/temps go up
Cpu/Core Cache voltage NO AUTO, volts/temps get high on auto, so I just add offset .005v and just using offset brings temps down
2666 ddr4 is set at 3200, and maxed by software. You can put any speed ram in this h570 prime plus.

Voltage runs low on this and when you raise it much, it doesnt like it, temps stay at 31c-74c. Passing 1.34v can be eventful.
But knowing what i know now Id buy a amd 5900x, or the 11900kf, 64gb ddr4, fast ssd m.2, better video card, and a better motherboard thats more versatile.

I hope this has something you can use. Im still looking for more adjustments to make but havent found any better yet.
If you have suggestions, that would be promising!

Last edited: