Question Upgrade GPU on an i5-4690k system ?

Andreas Liang

Honorable
May 7, 2015
Hello, i want to upgrade my GPU and my current build is :

i5 4690k
Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Corsair vengeance pro 4x4gb 1600mhz
Seasonic M12ii 520 watt
Asus GTX 960 2gb

So, what do u guys think is the best GPU that will not get bottlenecked by my i5-4690k ?

Bottlenecking will depend on the game being played among other factors (screen resolution, game settings, etc.)

Do you play a specific game? Or a particular genre of games?
What screen resolution and refresh rate do you use?
Is your CPU overclocked? How much?

Answer some or all of these questions to get a better understanding of what limitations you have.

Reactions: Andreas Liang
Hello, i want to upgrade my GPU and my current build is :

i5 4690k
Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Corsair vengeance pro 4x4gb 1600mhz
Seasonic M12ii 520 watt
Asus GTX 960 2gb

So, what do u guys think is the best GPU that will not get bottlenecked by my i5-4690k ?
It really depends on the game. My old system had a 4670k OC’d to 4.3GHz and GTX780 for playing at 1080p. Your cpu was just a refresh of the 4670k. I stopped using that system about 2 years ago as my main gaming system. Anyway many games still played well, but then some games struggled such as BF1 which was playable but definitely not the best. Then a game like Gears 5 was unplayable. This was all because of the cpu limitations, changing the gpu would not help.

Therefore a lot depends on your expectations. If wanting to play modern AAA games you need a system upgrade and not just gpu.

Andreas Liang

Honorable
May 7, 2015
Bottlenecking will depend on the game being played among other factors (screen resolution, game settings, etc.)

Do you play a specific game? Or a particular genre of games?
What screen resolution and refresh rate do you use?
Is your CPU overclocked? How much?

Answer some or all of these questions to get a better understanding of what limitations you have.
i play valorant and new world for now, I got 1080p 144hz monitor.
currently i got stock speed, but i will overclock it soon when i got new gpu.

Andreas Liang

Honorable
May 7, 2015
It really depends on the game. My old system had a 4670k OC’d to 4.3GHz and GTX780 for playing at 1080p. Your cpu was just a refresh of the 4670k. I stopped using that system about 2 years ago as my main gaming system. Anyway many games still played well, but then some games struggled such as BF1 which was playable but definitely not the best. Then a game like Gears 5 was unplayable. This was all because of the cpu limitations, changing the gpu would not help.

Therefore a lot depends on your expectations. If wanting to play modern AAA games you need a system upgrade and not just gpu.
Oh i see, thanks for the response tho. (y)

i play valorant and new world for now, I got 1080p 144hz monitor.
currently i got stock speed, but i will overclock it soon when i got new gpu.
If it were my system I would overshoot on the GPU for the sake of future performance with a future build, future monitor with higher resolution, or more GPU-demanding games. Something like an RX 6600/XT, RTX 3060. Or, to save some money you could go with a GTX 1660, GTX 1660 Ti, or GTX 1660 Super. There's a nice Sapphire RX 6700 XT on sale on Newegg right now that would be a nice GPU to have.

After the GPU upgrade, I would plan for a full platform upgrade to a new i5 or Ryzen 5 CPU, motherboard, and DDR4 RAM. DDR5 may be in the near future as well.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS