[SOLVED] Upgrade GPU or build new system ?

Apr 7, 2021
hello guys , like the title said , i dont know if i should swap the gpu only , do a SLI , or make a new rig?

My current rig :
MB: Asus V Formula LGA 1155
CPU : Intel i7 3770k (overclocked to 4.1ghz)
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Seidon 120M & Corsair h100i rgb platinum
GPU : Asus strix gt970 4gb GDDR5
PSU : Rosewill 80+ bronze 1000watts
Storage : Samsung 250gb / kingston 1tb x2.
Case : thermaltake phanteks & Rosewill Riseglow (both compatible with e-atx).
Fans : alot.

before you ask , the corsair h100i was a gift for my bday and the riseglow from my wife.
why im asking in this topic , since i got those new items , and the riseglow support a vertical gpu (which is new for me and looks dope) , what you guys recommend me to do .
first option is buying a gtx 1080ti 11gb gddr5
second option just do a SLI, but is worth it?
the third option is giving this rig to my wife and buy a new rig.
the normal use i do to this rig is gaming mmorpg/games in high quality /graphic design , the only time i turn off the pc is when im out city more than 1 week or when i clean it every 4 or 5 months , the rest of the time is always on.

thanks alot for taking you time reading this sh1t. for help me out :)
and yes , the rig is kinda ooooooooold :)
have a nice day.

Solution
Most games are limited more by the graphics card than the cpu.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need a graphics upgrade, good luck in finding a card, let alone at anything less than 2x msrp.
GTX1080ti is an excellent upgrade if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Do not bother with the sli route.
Synthetic benchmarks will look wonderful, but your gaming experience will be better with a single good card.
SLI is prone to stuttering and screen tearing.
Few games...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Could certainly do with a CPU upgrade. Intel 10th gen chips are on a bit of a sale right now. That would mean a new LGA1200, DDR4, and the CPU. Good time to get an NVMe SSD as well.

Can't really buy a GPU right now unless you have deep pockets and lots of luck, even your GTX970 is commanding a few hundred dollars. A 1080Ti will set you back $800 or so unless you get lucky. Might as well try for an RTX3070 at $750-1000.

alexbirdie

Respectable
My son and me had 3770k-PC(2012/13). Over the years we changed from 7850->7970->390x->1080.
1080 only my son's, I changed to 1080ti.

Both PC with 16 GB 1600-DDR3-ram,and after some years change from HDD to SSD for system-volume.

Changing to 1080 and 1080ti was a large improvement for gaming.

Both PCs were running with 4.3 Ghz at about 1.15 Volt, that means overclocked.

Jan. 2020 I built 2 new PCs for my son and me, and our "old" PCs are still great PC's, way too strong for daily work. Even AAA-games are still running, with reduced graphic-details.

What do I want to say? ----> if you do not have too much budget, a 1080 or 1080ti would be an improvement for you, if you can get a good offer.

Can't really buy a GPU right now unless you have deep pockets and lots of luck, even your GTX970 is commanding a few hundred dollars. A 1080Ti will set you back $800 or so unless you get lucky. Might as well try for an RTX3070 at $750-1000.

Sorry to say, but Eximo is right. To get new CPU, MB and RAM is not too expensive ( f.i. a AMD 5600x or an Intel 10600), but GPUs?

Simply a horror-show, when looking at prices.

If you can wait ( that means, change is not absolutly neccessary), then do it.

Last edited:
Most games are limited more by the graphics card than the cpu.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need a graphics upgrade, good luck in finding a card, let alone at anything less than 2x msrp.
GTX1080ti is an excellent upgrade if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Do not bother with the sli route.
Synthetic benchmarks will look wonderful, but your gaming experience will be better with a single good card.
SLI is prone to stuttering and screen tearing.
Few games today even support dual gpu.

If you need a stronger processor, there are no updates available for your motherboard.
You are looking at not only a processor and motherboard, but also at new DDR4 ram.
Today, look at ryzen 500 series or intel 11th gen processors with improved performance per clock.

What is your budget?

Solution
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-B560-PLUS-Motherboard-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt/dp/B08WRMG17M/
ASUS Prime B560-PLUS $119.99

https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164188
Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 $87.99

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-11400F-Desktop-Processor-LGA1200/dp/B08X6SZ184/
Intel Core i5-11400F $179.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
Intel Core i5-10400F $154.90

Reactions: alexbirdie

TRENDING THREADS