upgrade GPU or build new?

Jul 1, 2018
my current PC set-up is
Cpu: i5-4690k
Mb: AsRock H97M Pro4
Gpu: EVGA GTX 970 FTW
Memory: 8gb ddr3

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card but was worried about bottlenecking performance as my cpu and mb are a few years old. Would a GTX 1080 be feasible in with my setup or should I spend a bit more and build a pc? I game and do light streaming and am only worried about 120hz 1080p on 2 1920x1080 monitors. My gpu has been kind to me but I would like to actually get the fps from my monitors on current games. I would like to save some money but would have a budget of around $1500 if it makes more sence to just rebuild.

Solution
I would suggest that you buy the GPU you would use in a new build, install it in your existing computer, and see if you are getting the results you are seeking. If not you have only lost some time since your new card will work in a new build.

Larry

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I would suggest that you buy the GPU you would use in a new build, install it in your existing computer, and see if you are getting the results you are seeking. If not you have only lost some time since your new card will work in a new build.

Larry

Solution