[SOLVED] Upgrade GPU or replace system

lunchbeast

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I've got an old home-built WIN7 machine soon to be upgraded to WIN10. It's got a gen2 Intel I5-2500K CPU and AMD Radeon HD 6670 on an Asus P8Z68-V mobo.

This machine works great and does everything I need...except for graphics. It's mostly a developer workstation, but I also watch movies and play the occasional (older) game (Far Cry, Halo, Unreal Tournament, etc).

I'd like to replace the GPU with a new GTX 1650 Super, but I'm concerned it will be bottlenecked by the rest of my old system and I'll see little if any improvement.

Comments?

Solution
I've got an old home-built WIN7 machine soon to be upgraded to WIN10. It's got a gen2 Intel I5-2500K CPU and AMD Radeon HD 6670 on an Asus P8Z68-V mobo.

This machine works great and does everything I need...except for graphics. It's mostly a developer workstation, but I also watch movies and play the occasional (older) game (Far Cry, Halo, Unreal Tournament, etc).

I'd like to replace the GPU with a new GTX 1650 Super, but I'm concerned it will be bottlenecked by the rest of my old system and I'll see little if any improvement.

Comments?

A 2500K is still a decent gaming cpu- for older titles that don't need too many threads it should be find to keep up with a 1650 super. Note that in some of the newest AAA games you...

Comments?

A 2500K is still a decent gaming cpu- for older titles that don't need too many threads it should be find to keep up with a 1650 super. Note that in some of the newest AAA games you really need a 8 thread cpu, however you could always look for a used 2600K / 2700K if that is an issue.

Edit: TL,DR- I would upgrade that machine.

Reactions: helper800
Solution