Upgrade gpu or upgrade everything else

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I can only afford either an RTX 2080 or a full upgrade (minus GPU), but if I am playing at higher resolutions using DSR upscaled 4k then would it really matter if I upgrade everything else besides the GPU?

Right now I am on a

i5 4670k @4.4ghz
24 gb ram
gtx 1070
corsair cx600 PSU
and I THINK My Motherboard is a msi g41 z87? Something like that. might have numebr backwards. but Yea im aiming to play Resident Evil 2 REMAKE and Anthem and FFXV. Halp please I only got monies for one

Solution
I'm not sure how much you understand DSR (Here's a handy article) but DSR is essentially the same as Supersampling. There are other methods available (Anti Aliasing) that are intended to solve the same problem with varying levels of improvements and performance impact.

I cringe a little when you say "play in 4k on a 1080p monior" since that's not really what's happening.

Ultimately this all boils down to personal preference, but I can say this is a diminishing returns situation. Also, there's difference perception in play when you're looking at a screenshot as opposed to a moving scene. You've already got a decent card in your GTX1070, and I'm sure you're already playing around with DSR on that card.

My personal...

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
It feels like a bit of a bottleneck, but getting the 2080 is probably the most performance-improving upgrade you can do. Also, keep in mind that technologies like DLSS will only work on a few select titles.

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I have a 144hz FHD 1ms, but I use DSR to upscale games and play them in 4k. I aim to play in 4k without a 4k monitor lol

I'm not sure how much you understand DSR (Here's a handy article) but DSR is essentially the same as Supersampling. There are other methods available (Anti Aliasing) that are intended to solve the same problem with varying levels of improvements and performance impact.

I cringe a little when you say "play in 4k on a 1080p monior" since that's not really what's happening.

Ultimately this all boils down to personal preference, but I can say this is a diminishing returns situation. Also, there's difference perception in play when you're looking at a screenshot as opposed to a moving scene. You've already got a decent card in your GTX1070, and I'm sure you're already playing around with DSR on that card.

My personal recommendation would be to skip the GPU upgrade for now and save up for a full system refresh (maybe this fall when Ryzen 2 and Intel Ice Lake are in the market). When that time comes, either the RTX2080 will be cheaper or replaced with an RTX2180.

Solution

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Ah thanks for the clarification. I do find that at most times DSR works better than what you can use in in-game settings. But are you sure that they would already come out with the 2180 so soon? They just came out with it this summer and only 1.5 years later they come out with next gen? If they will tho I will most definitely save up for that and even Ice lake. I am tired of being on a budget and always having to upgrade SOMETHING every year and I just wanna get a nice i7 and a nice GPU so I wont have to worry for at least 4 to 5 years. I will def look into ice lake leaks and rumours.

RTX2180 - Depends on your timeframe. Not likely to launch this year, no.

Simply upgrading to a current gen CPU will give you a FPS bump in many/most games using your current GPU. This year's CPUs will introduce PCIe4.0 (FWIW) and Intel was talking about integrated 802.11ax WiFi (we'll see). Keep an eye on Tom's front page on the CES coverage this week.

Anthony Mendez

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

So will that mean new motherboards (also more expensive?) for the PCI E4? but with integrated 802 I cant complain I will def be saving up. Thanks for the help man

TRENDING THREADS