[SOLVED] Upgrade Graphic Card?

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Sorry in advance if wrong part of the forum (First post)
Bought a pre-Built pc a few years ago, lately i've been noticing lag and some weird "shadowing" effects on some games lately, also have not been a huge fan of this card since i've gotten it (Orginally had the 1070) and it was fine, was wondering what i should look into upgrading with for better performance. Ideally i don't play anything insanely demanding but i would like to play most things on High+

Geforce GTX 10606GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz
15.95 GB RAM
Main monitor is 2560 x 1440 144Hz (MSI Optix MAG321CQR)
Alt Monitor is an LG 32" (unsure more info)

Solution
Even if your psu had the appropriate cables, myself as well as others would recommend replacing it due to it's questionability. The fact that a 730w psu doesn't have 8 pin connectors is a big red flag. It probably shouldn't power high end graphics cards so my suggestion is to go with a PSU and RTX 2080 super graphics card combo now, that way all you have to do is upgrade the cpu/motherboard/memory in the future. Triple A titles are already pushing processors like yours, as well as i5/r5 hex core processors to their limits. This way you'll have the psu under warranty and good clean power to feed your new high end graphics card.

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
How much do you want to spend and what is the power supply unit in that prebuilt?
The power supply is 730-Watt, as for budget i am not opposed to paying a-bit more for performance that will last, as i game whenever i have free time. I know price ranges can vary so but am open minded not too scared of higher numbers or options.

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
The RTX 2070 is on par with the GTX 1080 for the most part, give or take. You will have to dial back graphical settings at 1440p and you won't be able to match fps with 144hz refresh rate, via triple A titles without dialing back the graphical settings.
Upon more research im now finding my plugins are two 6's so i would either need a card that would allow it or go via adapter to allow me a 8+6 for the 2070. as well was shown;
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2070-AERO-8G/Gallery
To pair with the monitor and its software. As well as to find one that actually exists + is in stock

Even if your psu had the appropriate cables, myself as well as others would recommend replacing it due to it's questionability. The fact that a 730w psu doesn't have 8 pin connectors is a big red flag. It probably shouldn't power high end graphics cards so my suggestion is to go with a PSU and RTX 2080 super graphics card combo now, that way all you have to do is upgrade the cpu/motherboard/memory in the future. Triple A titles are already pushing processors like yours, as well as i5/r5 hex core processors to their limits. This way you'll have the psu under warranty and good clean power to feed your new high end graphics card.

Solution

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Any recommendations on a PSU then? No clue about those as this is my first bought Premade rig lol.

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
This is a really good deal:

PCPartPicker Part List
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $89.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-03 07:05 EDT-0400
Are PSu's a one thing fits all (Minus dimensions) or is there a "hook up" method i need to pay attention to. on research i wasn't able to find much regarding anything besides "make sure it fits"

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019

xKinato

Reputable
Sep 23, 2019
Yeah get rid of that junk psu. The one above will fit and is semi modular so there will be less cables.
I noticed that, way too many cables going around. hard to track anything tbh. Guessing if i were to replace it with the above and the new card just pull the old one put the new one and disconnect/reconnect as per aye? or as another option would be viable to just use adapter cords since i do meet the power req?

Last edited: