Upgrade graphics, but limit on size and watts

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregawil

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
10.2. I just installed Windows 7 and haven't seen the monitor blanking issue repeat yet...but no guarantee it won't happen again, of course. I was also planning to use HDMI, but that only allows me to set the resolution at 1200X720 instead of the 1300X766 (I think?) native resolution of the monitor, so now I have the primary monitor attached with a VGA cable and the secondary attached with a VGA/DVI adapter. (Both are Samsungs, by the way.)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Connecting via HDMI cable vs VGA or DVI-VGA shouldn't make any difference in resolutions permitted. At least, it doesn't on any of the 3 4800-series cards I own...
None of my cards have native HDMI, either. Two of them use the DVI-HDMI dongle. Perhaps there's something different about the 5570? I haven't actually used one, so I don't know. I'm also using two ASUS monitors, and one Hanns-G monitor... The one Samsung in the house is DVI and VGA input only, and it's actually on the machine that happens to have my old nVidia 8800GT in it.

gregawil

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff about up and downscaling which is frankly testing my limits of technical knowledge severely. But the short answer is that via HDMI, I'm not able to do the 1300X766, or at least not without only having a refresh rate of 30hz, which is (as you might expect) obnoxious and not pleasant to look at. Since my Samsung (which is also an HDTV, btw) has got a native resolution of 1300X766, and looks great with VGA, something must be up with the HDMI setup specifically. It's probably not a major deal, since apparently I got the non-Displayport 5570, and both my Samsung monitors were not Displayport in any case--so I would have had to drop more money for adapters, which seems a bit silly to me just so I can geek out with three monitors instead of two. :)

Given that I now have a relatively cool running card (51C idle, about 65C at full load, all with the fan speed running at about 27% maximum) compared to what I used to have (65C idle, about 83C at full load, fan running 100%), and it's obviously a better card than my old one, I probably shouldn't complain, and it seems to be working well now. But I swear, the next time I upgrade, I'll run so far away from any kind of "slimline/mini/low form factor" case... " :)

P.S. Any suggestions about a program which will allow me to control the fan speed on the card? I could even up that a bit, say to 35 or 40%, and see if that drops the temperatures even further...

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
You sure the TV's resolution isn't 1366x768, or 1360x768? Those are the two most common for 720p TVs. The Samsung monitor I have here is a 943SWX, which is 18.5" with 1360x768 resolution. Their entire 19" TV line-up seems to use 1366x768 resolution. I don't know where this 1300x766 number is coming from. It's definitely not a resolution I've ever encountered previously...

As for fan speed control, use the OverDrive section of Catalyst Control Center. There, you should be able to set the fan speed manually. That is, if your card's fan remains functioning after voltage changes. (Some 2-wire and 3-wire fans only run at a specific voltage and don't support changes.) If not, there's no changing it's speed at all. Should this be the case, you could choose to install a case-fan or "slot-cooler" to increase airflow around the card.

NEKROG

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

UPDATE ! I SOLVED THE ISSUE BY REPLACING THE VIDEO CARD, EVENTUALLY MY CPU WOULDNT EVEN TURN ON GOT A NEW LOW PROFILE VIDEO CARD AND WHALA! EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN!
*** ACER!

G

Hi extremly late but I'm just wondering if the 5570 would work on the acer x3200. ATM I'm running the xfx 4550 fine. Which is better 4650 or 5570

G

I have an Acer X3300 and was looking to upgrade the graphics card. I have found this forum extremely help. I'm going to go with the ATi Radeon HD4650.
Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts