[SOLVED] Upgrade graphics card suggestions.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
After struggling to play any 4k movie files h265 or even h264 with my cpu flying high im guessing my Current card doesn't have the ability ? AMD 6670hd

If it doesn't i'd be looking to get another card that can

Play 4k movies and has hevc decoding, as my tv doesn't have displayport or hdmi 2.0 maybe suggest the best way to to get 4k @60 if possible and as cheap as possible as it is purely for movies not gaming.

Thanks for any help :D

Last edited:
Solution
"So final question which APU would you say is the best out there today in the budget range ?"

Sorry, that's outside my area of expertise. Please start a new thread to ask this question so it shows as "Unanswered" -- that should trigger some fresh replies.
After struggling to play any 4k movie files h265 or even h264 with my cpu flying high im guessing my Current card doesn't have the ability ? AMD 6670hd

If it doesn't i'd be looking to get another card that can

Play 4k movies and has hevc decoding, as my tv doesn't have displayport or hdmi 2.0 maybe suggest the best way to to get 4k @60 if possible and as cheap as possible as it is purely for movies not gaming.

Thanks for any help :D
Your TV will only be able to take 4k @ 30Hz without DP 1.3+ or HDMI 2.0+. That is fine for movies as they typically run at 24 FPS. What are the full system specs of the computer?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
amd 18 6600k
gigabyte f2a55m hd2
8gb ddrm
6670 hd dual graphics with onboard.

That's cool as it will just be movies, I might be getting a new tv further down the line so even a card that if I do get a tv with DP or 2.0 will be able to get 4k60hz then.

cheers.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
I don’t think a new gpu is going to help. I believe the video decoding is done by the cpu and you know the cpu is the limiting factor.

I thought if the GPU had the ability to Decode then it would take up the brunt of the work to spare the cpu ? and that is why my CPU is going crazy as my GPU's don't have the ability ?

what would you suggest on a budget as I have no clue about customizing beyond sliding the gpu out and putting a new one in... cpu changing might be a bit more difficult?

Can I get a good APU that is an all in one and replace my current APU on my motherboard ?

Last edited:

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
50 Quid won't do much. If you go up to 80 Quid you can get a GT 1030 that if I remember correctly has the ability to decode 4k. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...30-2gb-2gh-lp-oc-video-card-gt-1030-2gh-lp-oc

Heres the big problem according to pc builder on part picker im getting conflicting things when selecting gpus/apus that have been recommended to me.

The first thing I do is select my Motherboard gigabyte f2a55m hd2 and the only one that matches also mentions being a micro board... not sure if its mine or not as I don't see anything about micro on the board.https://postimg.cc/Pps8nYxV

Then a few of the ones suggested for example the ryzen 3200G APU and Nvidia GT 1030 then come up as incompatible

I really liked the idea of the ryzen 3200 apu as this would upgrade both my cpu and graphics.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
"The first thing I do is select my Motherboard gigabyte f2a55m hd2 and the only one that matches also mentions being a micro board... not sure if its mine or not as I don't see anything about micro on the board.https://postimg.cc/Pps8nYxV "

Yes, it's Micro ATX, tells you in the specs on manufacturer's website ("Form Factor"at the bottom):
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A55M-HD2-rev-10/sp#sp
thanks was thrown off as picture looked different set up where the cpu and pci slots etc..

So going by most of these build sites the FM2/FM+2 is outdated and nothing new works on it... but then I've seen posts about folks using the Ryzen line with it..

Ill probs just stop farting about and replace everything was just hoping I could switch to a newer more powerful apu and do the trick.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Supported processors are listed here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A55M-HD2-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Ryzen family not supported since, amongst other things, it's the wrong socket-type (Ryzen's need AM4 socket --- yours is FM2).

Alrighty that settles it time to get rid of this old dated board... looking at the available Apus for FM2 for the price the upgrade from my A8-6600k just wouldn't be worth it.

So final question which APU would you say is the best out there today in the budget range ?

Ill build my pc round it... new mobo/ram etc..

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
"So final question which APU would you say is the best out there today in the budget range ?"

Sorry, that's outside my area of expertise. Please start a new thread to ask this question so it shows as "Unanswered" -- that should trigger some fresh replies.

will do you've still been very helpful I've been spinning my wheels trying to figure this upgrade out cheers.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran