I need some advice,

So my current setup is as listed:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 780
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133 C11 2x8GB
MBD: Asus Z87-PLUS

Now The PC is running fine, but i like to increase some 3D programing and enjoy some high quality gaming. so i am hoping to replace my SSD and GPU. The GPU i have chosen is the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti DUKE 8GB.

I have also bought a brand new laptop that includes a 256 gb Samsung PM961 SSD, now due to me requiring high storage on my laptop, i have decided to replace the ssd to either the Samsung SM961 512gb or the Samsung 960 pro 512gb SSD, still not sure what the main difference between the two? I was thinking of putting the 256 gb Samsung PM961 SSD from my laptop into my custom built desktop - specs listed above. This way i can increase storage on my laptop and improve my SSD on my desktop.

Furthermore - Will my Intel Core i7-4770K and Asus Z87-PLUS be sufficient to run the new GPU and SSD? or do i have to upgrade those as well -_-?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The SM961 is the OEM variant of the 960PRo - essentially, they're only 'officially' provided to OEMs like Dell, HP etc - and you cannot typically use software like Samsung Magician on them. The OEM should be providing software/drivers etc, not Samsung.

4770K + Z87-Plus is a nice pairing for a 1070TI*, yes.
The CPU is a little slower on an IPC basis than more modern offerings, obviously, but still a very viable gaming rig.

The SSD though, not quite as easy. The board does not have an M.2 slot (didn't really become much of a thing on a consumer level until Z97; at x2 and not even x4), so you'd need an add-in card for it in a PCIe slot. I'm not 100% sure whether the Z87 will support booting from it, but I suspect it won't.

*Try not to spend much more than MSRP on the 1070TI (especially a Duke). If you're paying well above MSRP ($449 IIRC), then I'd seriously try to get by with your 780 for a while longer, it's not a bad card.

drmuhamedkhodr

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for the answer,

Ill probably hold up on buying a new graphics card until prices drop cause in australia right now, they have been boosted!

with the SSD, I would have to buy a new motherboard and DDr4 rams since the ddr3s arent compatible with the newer ones as i have struggled to find any!

anyways thanks

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's really not likely to be much benefit in upgrading your CPU/MB/RAM *just* to support an M.2 natively.

You cannot simply upgrade the MB to accommodate the CPU + DDR4, you'd need a totally new CPU, Haswell/DC chips don't work with DDR4.

I think the SSD upgrade doesn't really matter to the desktop. I've found that, in practical terms, once you've made the jump from mechanical drive to SSD, you have gained the vast majority of the performance benefit. Unless your 840 EVO is giving you problems or has used up most of its life, moving to a new one isn't going to do much for you. If I were to use the other SSD, I'd just add it as an extra drive and any programs you are currently running on the 840 can be put on the new SSD. Essentially this leaves your 840 as a dedicated OS drive.