Question Upgrade guide

Jan 4, 2023
Hi everyone, so I have r5 3600 and rx 5700xt fe, mb msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac, ddr4 3200 cl16 and bequiet 600w bronze certified psu.
There is a problem with a mb which causes first pcie lane to malfunction. Pc works fine with the gpu in the second slot but it impacts performance pretty well. I am thinking of upgrading mb and cpu in a range of 300-350 eur. What would you recommend to do. Should i upgrade or sell the whole system.
Sidenote I've tried fixing the problem with a different mb gpu ram but it didn't work.
Thanks for any help.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you replaced the memory, motherboard, and GPU, and that didn't fix it. Consider trying to replace the CPU at this point. It provides the PCIe lanes directly to primary and secondary x16 slots.

You could get a Ryzen 5600 pretty cheaply. Or a 5600X. If you want to keep it a while than a 5700X/5800X.

Switching to Intel is an option. You could keep the DDR4 and get something like an i5-13500 or even 13600K with a DDR4 LGA1700 motherboard.

AM5 would mean switching to DDR5, which would total more than you have to spend.

Reactions: Galtomazic
Jan 4, 2023
If you replaced the memory, motherboard, and GPU, and that didn't fix it. Consider trying to replace the CPU at this point. It provides the PCIe lanes directly to primary and secondary x16 slots.

You could get a Ryzen 5600 pretty cheaply. Or a 5600X. If you want to keep it a while than a 5700X/5800X.

Switching to Intel is an option. You could keep the DDR4 and get something like an i5-13500 or even 13600K with a DDR4 LGA1700 motherboard.

AM5 would mean switching to DDR5, which would total more than you have to spend.

Jan 4, 2023
Thanks for reply. So i have a nvme m. 2 drive im not an expert but if the cpus pcie lanes are fried wouldnt it also hinder with a m.2. Maybe im wrong and there is a problem with a cpu and not a mb. Has anyone had similar issues.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you closely checked the CPU pins for damage or missing? Also check the mobo socket for the lost pin, if such exists.

I am not sure I would be comfortable trying to sell a system I know has issue. Certainly would disclose what is going on and offer a steep discount for anything you cannot confirm isn't part of the problem.

If you already have a new mobo I would just swap up to 5xxx for the CPU.

Reactions: Galtomazic
Jan 4, 2023
I will try to get another cpu to put in the system so I can really see what is the issue. Thanks for your help.
I will post an update when I figure out what is happening here.