[SOLVED] Upgrade help needed please

Jan 14, 2020
I am looking to replace my processor and motherboard and ram with components that are Windows 8.1 pro compatible. My fear is to buy items where only Windows 10 drivers are available.

My home built system is

Intel core i7-3770k 3.5gh
ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
16gb Ram

l am not a gamer so not looking for a new gpu, unless mine is thought to be limiting.
My main aim is to bring the pc l built a few years ago up to a more modern spec, speed wise

Solution
Also, if you don't like Windows 10, there are plenty of ways to modify it to be more like previous versions of Windows. And most of the 'spyware' can be turned off with powershell scripts. Classic shell is good for most of the visual aspects.

Probably not going to be a Windows '11' until some horrible PR disaster occurs. Basically a new version of Windows every 6 months. Probably just rebrand it as "Windows" at some point, and/or force subscriptions on everyone.

Myself, I only dislike many of its more advanced features, and the terrible search. As an OS, it is just the portal to my applications/browser, which is where I spend most of my time. Use it at work every day for administering Windows 2012 and 2016 servers. Don't get me...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Anything prior to Kabylake I believe is 100% safe. No reason you can't install 8.1 on newer things. Worst case you turn off driver signing and force some Win10 drivers in there.

So i7-6700k, Z170/Z270 boards, DDR4 memory 2x8GB 3000-3200Mhz is typical.

I would spec out the system you want, go to the manufacturer's site and see if they offer Windows 8.1 drivers.

Not like that system isn't capable of running 8.1 though.

Ryzen has basically been around as long as Windows 10, I'm sure there are people out there still stubbornly using Windows 7 with it.

Jan 14, 2020
stick with 1 thread
I built my system a few years ago and want to upgrade the cpu , motherboard and ram.
I really do not like Windows 10 so what can l upgrade to that has drivers suitable for Windows 8.1 pro
l have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb gpu but dont really want to change that, unless it is deemed to be in need of an upgrade. I dont play serious games.
My current spec
i7-3770k 3.5gh
ASUS P8Z77-V MOTHERBOARD
16gb Ram

Recommendations please?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Also, if you don't like Windows 10, there are plenty of ways to modify it to be more like previous versions of Windows. And most of the 'spyware' can be turned off with powershell scripts. Classic shell is good for most of the visual aspects.

Probably not going to be a Windows '11' until some horrible PR disaster occurs. Basically a new version of Windows every 6 months. Probably just rebrand it as "Windows" at some point, and/or force subscriptions on everyone.

Myself, I only dislike many of its more advanced features, and the terrible search. As an OS, it is just the portal to my applications/browser, which is where I spend most of my time. Use it at work every day for administering Windows 2012 and 2016 servers. Don't get me started on how much more difficult it is to navigate in 2016...I miss being able to type and get applications launched without using the mouse.

Solution