Marowak43

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
Current Build:
CPU: I7 6700K clocked at 4.8 GHz
CPU cooler: Corsair H75 liquid cooler
RAM: 2 x Corsair LPX 3000 Mhz Vengeance 8gb each. (total 16 gb of RAM)
Mobo: ASUS Gaming STRIX Z270-E Gaming m-ATX
Case: Thermaltake P33 SE
GPU 1: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming Z
GPU 2: Gigabyte Geforce GTX Aorus Gaming (from Ebay)
STORAGE: Transcend 256 gigabytes SSD. Also, 1 TB of external storage connected via USB.
PSU: Corsair 600 Watt Power Supply

Hello, I have run the above setup for three going on four years (2016). Since then, I have SLI'd my MSI GTX 1070 with an Aorus Gaming 1070 I found on Ebay last year. I have had mediocre performance throughout the years, and I am a sucker for smooth framerates. So, I overclocked my CPU to 4.8 GHz, which is fast but sorta janky.

Nowadays, with the sudden resurgence of processors, I have been considering upgrading. Performance in games have been very bipolar. For example, Farming Simulator 2019 has lag spikes, but I also have a lot of mods. Then, GTA V works decently, with mostly steady framerates with the occasional droppage. And then Battlefield 1 runs terribly for the first three minutes, then kinda evens itself out, with the occasional framerate drops too. Forza Horizon 4 is the only game that is steady for a long duration, but sometimes it crashes randomly.

Overall, I would like some advice on my situation. A part of me wants to upgrade my PC with a 9900K, but another part of me says to hold off and wait for new CPUs to come out. Then, there's the idea about upgrading to the cheaper but more processored, Ryzen. As you can see I am very conflicted about what to do, and I welcome any insight, Ryzen or Intel. Thank you for reading and allowing me to spiel, please submit your ideas about what I should do. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Hm... some thoughts.

The i7-6700k isn't a bad CPU, though 'bad' is dependent on what you do with it. In terms of IPC it is still very capable, but software which leverages more threads than previous software may start to have limitations (mainly gaming examples I'm thinking of).

SLI, or even Crossfire, is rather limited now as I understand it. Very few games make use of multiple graphics card set ups and the general advice is just get a singular most powerful graphics card you can afford.

The running of Battlefield 1 makes me wonder about your storage. I see similar behaviour with my own PC though I install my games to an HDD which remains fairly inactive until called upon.
Hm... some thoughts.

The i7-6700k isn't a bad CPU, though 'bad' is dependent on what you do with it. In terms of IPC it is still very capable, but software which leverages more threads than previous software may start to have limitations (mainly gaming examples I'm thinking of).

SLI, or even Crossfire, is rather limited now as I understand it. Very few games make use of multiple graphics card set ups and the general advice is just get a singular most powerful graphics card you can afford.

The running of Battlefield 1 makes me wonder about your storage. I see similar behaviour with my own PC though I install my games to an HDD which remains fairly inactive until called upon.

Solution