[SOLVED] upgrade HP Pavilion 510-A010

Oct 20, 2019
I recently got a big upgrade to my computer, basically a new custom build with the same memory. I have all these new parts and I thought it would be cool to make my mom's computer better. My parts are intel and hers are amd though, so I'd need to do a complete rebuild basically. I'm just wondering basically if I could just buy a better cpu for her and slap it in, maybe with better ram and one of my graphics cards. (Now I realize I'd need a better power supply too)
I don't understand AMD. Are there any amd cpus I could buy to drastically boost performance with the same motherboard-cpu chipset?
Her computer is a prebuilt
HP Pavilion 510-A010
specs can be found at: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...D-A8-7410-2-2GHz-8GB-1TB-Windows-10/396901599
Any ideas?

Solution
That chip is a BGA chip, meaning it's soldered to the motherboard and therefore not replaceable. Upgrading RAM and a card should be possible but the system would be limited by the low end cpu
Another route is to look online. There are literally thousands of old Dell optiplex systems with i5 and i7cpus being sold cheap that companies are getting rid of as they upgrade. You may try to get something like that and swap in your ram etc and a graphics card.

For example, something like this is what I mean.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...ispr=1&hash=item1f05a73c6a:g:t88AAOSwq41dzGDO

If you swap your ram, hard drive etc over and clean install. Pop in something like a gtx 1060 or an rx 580. Note that you'd want to replace the power supply. But it gives an idea what's out there. You might be able to get away with a 1050ti though. But not certain.

Oct 20, 2019
Okay thanks. I did not realize that at all. It's not a big deal, I was just excited to help her out, but she doesn't really care. She only uses it for normal simple tasks like email, word, etc. I figured an i5 4690k would be a good boost but I'd probably be better selling all my old stuff and buying a used one like you guys said. It's too much trouble for what it's worth. Thanks

Reactions: Phaaze88