[SOLVED] Upgrade i5 2400 to 4th gen ,worth it ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hi ,i pair my i5 2400 with a GTX 1650 Super and it games quite decent

And im getting a pretty good deal on a used i5 4th gen with warranty

Would a upgrade be worth it for gaming and using the iGPU on the 4th gen for SteamLink or similar for encoding remote play

And yes i know i could save for a better option but thats the future but would an upgrade matter now ?

Thanks

Solution
If you use NVEnc on the 1650S, the performance loss should be minimal and there is no point in upgrading to Haswell for the IGP. CPU-wise, Haswell won't be a whole lot faster so the upgrade may be be underwhelming.

There is a reason why old Intel quad-cores are finally getting dirt-cheap: quad-core CPUs without multi-threading are becoming borderline even for basic everyday use. I'd recommend upgrading to an i5-8400 at a minimum, though you won't be getting one of those for $84 any time soon and it would mean having to upgrade to DDR4 too.

Lutfij

Titan
I hope you're getting a motherboard with the 4th Gen i5 processor since your current board, whether it's a 6 series or 7 series chipset, will not work with the latter processor. Also, what i5 is it exactly?

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

in order for us to understand what you have and what're probably upgrading to.

Also, how much are you paying for the deal?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
I hope you're getting a motherboard with the 4th Gen i5 processor since your current board, whether it's a 6 series or 7 series chipset, will not work with the latter processor. Also, what i5 is it exactly?

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

in order for us to understand what you have and what're probably upgrading to.

Also, how much are you paying for the deal?
hi ,yes a motherboard too as well since the current one does not support 4th gen

My current system specs are
i5 2400
Foxconn H61 Motherboard
8GB RAM
1 TB HDD
GTX 1650 SUPER
Aerocool 450W power supply
Case is pretty generic
Windows 10 fully updated

So im getting a i5 4460 along with the mobo for approx i'd say 84 USD if i do a little currency conversion magic

My question is basically would this upgrade be worth it for now ?

As mentioned i mostly Game and will use it for steamlink/parsec for streaming to my TV for remote play

Thanks

Last edited:

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
I wouldn't say it's 'worth' it personally, no.

You're still dealing with a quad-core, really only generational improvements generation over generation.
The iGP is 'better', but not groundbreakingly so.
Hey ,thanks
The thing is if i use the GTX 1650 Super as encoder in Steamlink or Rainway and stream to my TV for remote play ,it shaves off a few FPS from 60 to 50 fps
And since the iGPU on the i5 2400 does not support h.264 or any encoding these apps can use,i have to rely on the dedicated GPU

Will using the HD 4600 on the i5 4460 as encoder stop the frame reduction cause im playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and in my current build its giving me 50-55 FPS medium settings 720p but streaming it drops to 40 i'd say using the GPU for rendering and encoding

Thats actually my main question and i lack expertise on iGPU and their encoding performance

Thanks and sorry to bother you after your honest opinion

InvalidError

Titan
If you use NVEnc on the 1650S, the performance loss should be minimal and there is no point in upgrading to Haswell for the IGP. CPU-wise, Haswell won't be a whole lot faster so the upgrade may be be underwhelming.

There is a reason why old Intel quad-cores are finally getting dirt-cheap: quad-core CPUs without multi-threading are becoming borderline even for basic everyday use. I'd recommend upgrading to an i5-8400 at a minimum, though you won't be getting one of those for $84 any time soon and it would mean having to upgrade to DDR4 too.

Reactions: Led zeppelin blues
Solution

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

Thanks ,i understand
And i'll save up then for a new rig hopefully in January when i'll be getting some finances ,a more modern one i'd say
Thank you so much again