Oct 16, 2017
Hello ,
Currently I have this set up:
i5-3470
12 gb ddr3 1333
Gtx 1060 3gb
2 tb HDD
240 GB SSD
I am looking to upgrade my CPU to the Ryzen 5 3600 as my CPU is very old now and is starting to have difficulties running games ( alot of stuttering and multitasking is a nightmare), however should I wait for the release of Ryzen 4000 series chipsets ? I have read online that the chips will initially only be available in pre build systems , when can I expect for the CPU to be sold separately and is it worth waiting for it ? Will the price of the new chips be simar of the current ones ?

Last edited:
Solution
A 3600 build is pretty solid, and the 4000s are not expected to be a world of difference. I would assume they would be available by December, so you’ll still be looking at 2-3 months wait realistically. Stock could be a small problem. Motherboard performance/bios could be a bigger problem

If you're ready for an upgrade cpu wise then it's not a bad time to do so. You've got the b550 boards and ram is pretty affordable, not much to complain about. Paired with nvidia 3000 you'll have a pretty good system
A 3600 build is pretty solid, and the 4000s are not expected to be a world of difference. I would assume they would be available by December, so you’ll still be looking at 2-3 months wait realistically. Stock could be a small problem. Motherboard performance/bios could be a bigger problem

If you're ready for an upgrade cpu wise then it's not a bad time to do so. You've got the b550 boards and ram is pretty affordable, not much to complain about. Paired with nvidia 3000 you'll have a pretty good system

Solution

zachary.chua1234

Commendable
Oct 16, 2017

If I do get the Ryzen 5 3600 , how high can I go on gpu till it causes bottlenecking ? As I may upgrade my GPU in the future , will let's say rtx 2080 cause bottlenecking ?

zachary.chua1234

Commendable
Oct 16, 2017
Pay more!
When was the last time you defrag your SATA Harddisk or Trim your SSD?
get a motherboard that support NVMe and also a good quality PSU!
I'm on a pretty tight budget haha , computer parts in my country are pretty pricey for us , as for defragmenting my hardisk , probably never haha , but I will do it now , thanks for the advice !!
Also for my psu, i am currently using Blue Wolf Power Supply BW50-BTX-500W , idk if this is okay, should i change this power supply?

Last edited:
Yes the r3600 and your current build is a world apart in performance, I was only comparing the upcoming ryzen to current one.

if we’re talking about the rtx2080, then we have to talk about monitor. You’re not going to slap a 2080 on a 1080p monitor. This card will do well on a 2k display with the ryzen 3600. The bottleneck would depend more on the games you play, cpu or gpu intensive. You could see, your gpu bottlenecking your cpu. Would that mean that the 2080 is not enough? Nope, that’s just the way certain games are optimized to use resources. That’s why you get the best appropriate gpu, it’s not Black and White, there are a lot of variants.