Upgrade i5 3570k?

Lobialkon

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Hello everyone!

Here is the thing, i've been running with my i5 3570k and a Gigabyte Z77-D3H for around 2 years now (maybe a little more).

Its a great cpu and i love it, but the thing i hate is my motherboard. Around one year ago, 2 of the 4 ram sockets stopped working for no apparent reason, which is sad because i lost the dual channel in the process, more than once the bios crashed on me (dont know how or why either) and since the moment i bought it, i hated with all my heart the sound card and drivers (cant stress this enough).

So i said hey, lets sell or dump this one and buy a new one, but i cant find good motherboard with that socket in my country, and i cant buy it outside because of limitations. All the boards i find are quite lackluster and some of them are not even ready for overclock.

So i dont know what to do, i would much preffer to sell both the motherboard and the cpu at a reasonable price and with a little bit extra money buy a new combo, but the thing is, everywhere i read, there is no intel cpu that "upgrades" the i5 3570k.

What do you guys think i should do? should i upgrade to a new generation? should i stick with my cpu and buy one of the many shitty motherboards i find here? Should i keep with my setup untill the motherboard stops working in a couple years?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Solution
Well depending on availability and pricing in your area, the i5 4690k is the predecessor to the i5 3570k, but the brand new i5 6600k (skylake) will be the latest and greatest.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I would advise that you just stick with your 3570k. It would be a shame to have to upgrade because an i5 3570k is a good chip, and plenty capable even today. What country do you live in? Perhaps we can help you find a good motherboard for your chip.

Lobialkon

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
Thanks for the fast response! DDR4 is a no go right now here, not many places sell it, and if they do they arent the popular brands and they are quite pricey!

I live in argentina btw, there is quite a lot of stock for hardware of the current generation, but not much about the others.

ah ok. How long can you wait for a new system?

Lobialkon

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I could go on forever, its not the performance that bothers me, hell, im not sure if there is a performance upgrade out there (substantial performance upgrade) to this cpu. Its the little glitches and features on my motherboard that i dont like, and maybe i would prefer to sell it now, while it works okay, rather than in one year with maybe more bugs than the ones it already has.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Upgrading to Haswell or Skylake will give you an increase in performance, but the increase you get would not be worth the money spent to make the transition. Although after doing so you could make some of the money back by selling the 3570k and mobo.

You could just buy one of the cheap motherboards, and keep your 3570k and squeeze a few more years out of it. Even without much overclocking you will still get good performance out of it for years to come.

Kind of depends on what your financial situation is at the moment.

Lobialkon

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I've done some math and money aint the issue, by selling my cpu and mobo i should be paying around 50-55% of the full price of the new things, its not that much really, one of the perks of living here is that we sell the used stuff at reasonable prices and we dont kind of "gift" them if you know what i mean.

In the scenario where i upgrade to a new generation, to which cpu should i be aiming for? i mainly use it for gaming!

Lobialkon

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

I will keep thinking about it and see how the pricing fluctuates in the coming months, if its affordable, i might go for skylake.

Thanks a lot for the replies!