Question Upgrade i7-4790K processor in-place on Win-10 machine?

k9rescue

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
I have the following equipment - which was state-of-the art about 5 years ago when I got it:

Intel core i7-4790K CPU
Z797-Deluxe mobo
32G of DDR-3 1337 Corsair Memory
1000W Power Supply
8 TB HD
Running Windows 10-Pro

The computer has started overheating and processes are topping off at 100%. It takes several minutes to see files after clicking on the file viewer.

I updated BIOS, ran a ton of diagnostics, checked the fans, removed all unnecessary USB devices, etc and couldn't identify the problem. Online benchmarks perform in acceptable ranges for all hardware after a 2-day stress test.

I was wondering if it makes sense to swap out the processor to see if that makes a difference.

Is it possible to upgrade the processor somewhat w/o having to re-purchase or re-install all the software? If so, what other processors would work with the Z797 mobo w/o causing BSOD?

I'm hoping there's a way to do this w/o a large investment in all new equipment.

I have the following equipment - which was state-of-the art about 5 years ago when I got it:

Intel core i7-4790K CPU
Z797-Deluxe mobo
32G of DDR-3 1337 Corsair Memory
1000W Power Supply
8 TB HD
Running Windows 10-Pro

The computer has started overheating and processes are topping off at 100%. It takes several minutes to see files after clicking on the file viewer.

I updated BIOS, ran a ton of diagnostics, checked the fans, removed all unnecessary USB devices, etc and couldn't identify the problem. Online benchmarks perform in acceptable ranges for all hardware after a 2-day stress test.

I was wondering if it makes sense to swap out the processor to see if that makes a difference.

Is it possible to upgrade the processor somewhat w/o having to re-purchase or re-install all the software? If so, what other processors would work with the Z797 mobo w/o causing BSOD?

I'm hoping there's a way to do this w/o a large investment in all new equipment.
I think the 4790K is the fastest CPU you can put in that motherboard.

Reactions: k9rescue

Remeca

Reputable
Yeah, youve got the best cpu for that socket. You could get a new cpu cooler, new thermal paste, and OC if you need better performance, or get faster ram. Issues youre having sound like they could be software related though, even my 4770 flies during normal usage. Also, check your disks health with crystaldiskinfo, a failing hdd could be a cause of your issues.

What might have changed recently?

What is your cpu temperature at idle?
I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well and functioning.

What is your cpu cooler?

What is the make/model of your case?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to do it's job.

Have you overclocked?
If not, you are leaving some 30% cpu performance on the table.

What is the main purpose for this pc?

If it is for gaming, what is your graphics card?

There is no better upgrade available for your motherboard.

Do you use a ssd for windows?
How much space is used on your HDD?
If not, that is one of the best performance improvements you can buy.

Any significant cpu upgrade is also going to need a new motherboard as well as DDR4 ram.

Ultimately, I think it unlikely that you need a stronger cpu pending a discussion using the answers to my questions above.

When you say it's overheating, what exactly do you mean? Is it shutting down?

Is the 8 TB HD your only disk? I assume it's a mechanical drive. Have you ever defragged it?

Windows 10 has to work a lot harder if files it's trying to open are fragmented all over the 8 TB disk.

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
POp open your Case clean it up inside. If that doesnt help then you may need to re apply thermal paste, But some Arctiv Mx4 its like $10 or something, add a good amount, if you are still having problems you may need a new fan on the processor. You also may need to delete some files off your hard drive if it is close to being full as that would halt performance and make things slow.

k9rescue

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks all for responding. I found a clump of dog hair (I've got pets :) clogging the PSU fan. I think it had a cascade effect.

Things are running better now, though the temps are 40-55 when idle.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Thanks all for responding. I found a clump of dog hair (I've got pets :) clogging the PSU fan. I think it had a cascade effect.

Things are running better now, though the temps are 40-55 when idle.
You're lucky as that can cause your entire system to fry out if the PSU implodes. Just make sure you are cleaning out once a month or twice a month depending on usage. Since you said you have pets i would be checking that every 2 weeks

k9rescue

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
I just found out that Malwarebytes can slow down Windows file explorer quite a bit (that was another issue with my PC) I'm still waiting on a solution from the vendor. I can post it here if people are interested.