[SOLVED] Upgrade i7-4790K

Overlockhelp

Honorable
Jul 14, 2014
Hi,
I would like to upgrade my Intel i7-4790K CPU, which is around 5 years old now. My budget is around $300. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Solution
What is this for? Gaming? And what are your system's complete specs?

You might struggle to find substantially better CPU performance for $300, since any worthwhile upgrade will also require a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. For most tasks, including most current games, the i7-4790K is still a pretty decent processor, and should be roughly on par with the current locked i5 processors, which offer 6-cores but lack SMT (hyperthreading). AMD's competing mid-range processors like the Ryzen 3600 have 6 cores with SMT, but much like those current i5s, they won't be much faster than what you have on a per-core basis, so you won't likely notice any substantial performance difference in anything that doesn't utilize a lot of cores. Intel...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi,
I would like to upgrade my Intel i7-4790K CPU, which is around 5 years old now. My budget is around $300. Any suggestions. Thank you.
With a $300 budget I would not upgrade my CPU. Save up until you can upgrade your entire machine with all the benefits of the latest technologies. However, if you don't have an SSD that is a great inexpensive upgrade, although I would assume that you already have one.

What is this for? Gaming? And what are your system's complete specs?

You might struggle to find substantially better CPU performance for $300, since any worthwhile upgrade will also require a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. For most tasks, including most current games, the i7-4790K is still a pretty decent processor, and should be roughly on par with the current locked i5 processors, which offer 6-cores but lack SMT (hyperthreading). AMD's competing mid-range processors like the Ryzen 3600 have 6 cores with SMT, but much like those current i5s, they won't be much faster than what you have on a per-core basis, so you won't likely notice any substantial performance difference in anything that doesn't utilize a lot of cores. Intel will likely be launching new processors within the next few months, but aside from restoring SMT to better compete with Ryzen, I don't think they will be significantly improving performance at most moderately-threaded workloads.

Depending on what hardware your system currently has, and what you use it for, you might be better off putting that money toward other components, like a graphics card. or simply holding onto your money until there are better processors available for the money.

Solution